Thursday, September 13, 2012

This is the experience that never ends...

Do you remember the song "This is the song that never ends?"

This is the song that never ends.
It just goes on and on my friends.
Some people started singing it not knowing what it was
and they'll continue singing it forever just because...

This is the song that never ends.
(keep repeating)

Youtube link here in case you aren't familiar with the song.  


Anyway, I kind of feel like that is my life these days.  I saw my surgeon again today and her words were the same as last week.  And the same as the week before.  "You had major surgery.  You will be down for a while.  That means no bending over.  No loading or unloading the dishwasher.  No picking up your kids.  No sitting or standing for long periods.  No excessive walking.  No laundry.  No vacuuming.  No riding in cars for long periods.  Lots of laying in bed."

But, today was also followed with "you are doing great.  You are healing.  I'm very pleased with your progress.  This surgery only has a 65% success rate but so far, it has worked.  Refill your pain meds.  I'll see you in a week."

I went into this surgery knowing the success rate wasn't 100%.  The scary part was that the surgery can fail even if I do everything I'm supposed to.  Sometimes, it just doesn't work.  Sometimes it fails on week 8 or week 12.  I'm only almost to week 3.  So, I have a ways to go.  

I'm not a very patient person by nature.  But, for this, I have to be.  I've spent more time in bed than the entire 3 years we have lived here.  I'm not really a TV watcher but I've watched entire seasons of several shows on Netflix.  I'm talking over 80 episodes.  Yeah, me...non-TV watching girl!  I've also watched a crazy amount of Netflix movies and TV movies on top of the countless podcasts I've listened to online.

The hardest part for me is not helping with the daily routine of my boys or being present at church.  Our church is in the midst of the big national "Back to Church Sunday" that is happening this week and I'm so sad to miss it.  I missed the 3 weeks prep leading up to it and now I'll miss the actual day.  That's hard.  I wish I could be there but I just can't.  I'm so proud of our church and the way they have rallied around this.  I'll be home praying fervently for God to do BIG things.  

I rode along to pick Jonah up from school yesterday.  He was so surprised to see me in the car.  Before he went to bed last night, he said "Mommy, I was so surprised to see you in our car at school.  I've missed you so much and made my heart happy to see you there."  (Insert sigh!)

We've continually been blessed with prayers, offers of help, food deliveries, magazine deliveries, offers of play dates, grocery store deliveries, child care help, school pick-ups and drop-offs and many other acts of kindness.  Our hearts are full and grateful!  






2 comments:

Barb said...

Goodness! Continued prayers for the surgery to be a success and for you to have patience and find ways to occupy yourself so you don't get too bored. Wish I could be there to help you out.

Audra Laney said...

Oh Nicki. I hurt for you after reading the long list of "do nots." That's a lot of "no nos" for a busy mama of two boys to follow. I can't even imagine. Love you and praying for you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails