Friday, July 27, 2012

Happy 6th Birthday, Jonah!

Dear Jonah,

Today, you turn six years old.  SIX YEARS OLD!?!?!  How on earth did that happen?  You entered our world and made it so much better.  We really wanted a baby.  We tried for several years to have one and were even told it would never happen.  Then came you.  The news of your impending arrival shocked us like nothing we have ever known.  From the time I knew I was pregnant with you, I prayed that you would come to know Jesus at an early age and that your life would bring joy to others.  

You haven't made the decision to ask Jesus into your heart yet but you are so close.  You are asking lots of questions.  You are recognizing sin in your own life.  (and in the lives of others so we are having talks about being judgmental!)  You are memorizing scripture and quoting it.  You are reading God's word for yourself from your own Bible.  You love church and you love Jesus but you haven't quite made the turn of recognizing your need for Him and for his saving Grace.  But, we continue to pray that day will come soon.  

But, you do bring joy to others.  Oh, sweet boy, you do that regularly!  You have more adult friends than most adults.  And, they span the states.  You have people who love you all the way from Washington State down to Florida.  You make them laugh.  You make them cry.  You love them and they love you.  I remember one time in Vidalia when Mammy was in your room dressing you after a bath.  I walked down the hall and unbeknownst to her, I overheard her conversation with you.  Through tears, she told you how much joy you brought to her life and to so many who know you.

You have such a kind heart and sweet spirit.  I hope that never changes.  I watch you with your friends and smile at your kindness.  You've started to recognize other kids who are alone and that tugs at your heart.  You have a welcoming spirit about you.  That comes in handy for new kids at church.  You have a great concern for Andy, your sponsored World Vision child.  You asked for money for your birthday so you could help him have a birthday party.  You give food to homeless people holding signs.  Your heart is huge.  

A lot of things happened between your 5th and 6th birthday.  You played on a soccer team and on an Upward Basketball team.  You learned to read and you are very good at it.  You rode the Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios.  You completed your first year of real school.  You took your first spelling test.  You broke your first bone- your arm!  You won 1st place in a school photography contest and went on to place 2nd in the entire county.  You started piano lessons.  You skated for the first time.  You went to South Carolina, Louisiana and Mississippi.  You learned to dive to the bottom of the pool and retrieve toys.  You had your first sleepover.  You declared your hatred for pickles of all kinds.  

This year also brought your first real loss.  You sat in my lap and wept this week when I had to share the terrible news that your friend Cliff went to be with Jesus.  You have since cried your little eyes out over that news.  As your mom, I'd do most anything to shield you from the hurt and sadness you experienced this week but unfortunately, this world is full of trouble and this will not be the last time you cry over loss.  

You have excelled in your role as big brother.  You are the kindest, sweetest, most patient big brother I have ever seen.  You rarely get frustrated with Micah.  You read to him, play with him, comfort him and love him.  When he sleeps late in the mornings, you most always ask if you can just go wake him up.  I hope and pray you always feel about him the way you do now.  

Jonah, on this day 6 years ago, we were completely smitten with you but we had no idea the joy you would bring to our lives.  You are such a great kid and I'm so glad God let me be your mommy!  I'm proud of you and can't wait to see the many ways God uses you for his Kingdom and His glory.  

Shortly after birth- July 27, 2006

A lot changes in six years, huh?

Your 6th Birthday party- July 26, 2012  (Photo by Ann Axon Photography)

4 comments:

Sarah Shields Johnson said...

That made me cry. Jonah you are such a wonderful little boy. I miss you so much. I love you. You have made such an impact on my life. Thank you.

Amanda said...

Jonah, my heart is so full of love for you, sweet man. When your mommy found out she was expecting you, I was so thrilled. I knew how long they had waited and prayed for such a sweet blessing. I am so glad that I can say that I have been there from the moment you entered this world. You have touched and changed so many lives for the better. You are so kind and so sweet. Your stories your mommy posts about you all the time make me laugh. I hate that I can't see you more, but I'm so thankful that I've still been able to watch my "first baby" grow up even if it's through the internet. I am so proud of you and so proud of all you have accomplished. I pray God's absolute best for your life! I hope you grow in his knowledge and wisdom as you get older and that one day very soon you'll come to know him. You have a special place in my heart :) I wish you and Eli could see each other more, but the times you are together make my heart so full I feel like it could burst. I hope you have the best birthday and I can't wait to see you again!!!

Barb said...

This is so sweet, but I must say I am saddened by Jonah's hatred of pickles (my favorite food!). :) Happy birthday, Jonah!

Penny said...

So sweet! I know you are constantly wearing your heart on your sleeve with that boy. Nothing blesses a momma's heart more than other people really loving her baby~ and so many really love your Jonah. (and Micah, too, I'm sure~ but it's not his birthday;) It's heartbreaking to know how much he's grieving Cliff right now. The deeper the love, the deeper the hurt. The Lord is preparing his tender heart for something huge~ ministry, I'm guessing. Your boy definitely has a high calling on his life. :)
Happy birthday, Jonah! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails