Saturday, March 3, 2012

Micah's words

One day this week, Micah decided to start talking.  Up until now, I've been a bit worried about his lack of vocabulary.  And, by worried, I mean more like "a little obsessive and almost make myself sick" worried.  If you remember, I was quite sick for the entire 39 weeks of my pregnancy.  I took very few (less than a whole bottle) pre-natal vitamins.  My nutrition was terrible.  My water intake was minimal.  I was sick.  If I did eat, it was usually macaroni and cheese or toast.  So, I worried about how that would affect him.  And now, every time he has any sort of sickness or developmental issue, I blame myself for him not getting the proper nutrients or DHA and ARA while he was in my tummy.


I was the most worried around his birthday.  I distinctly remember Jonah's first birthday party being filled with words from him.  He called most everyone by name.  He ran to jump in the arms of those he loved.  He said lots of words and most everyone understood them.  Micah, up until this week, has said hardly anything.  Yes, I know.  Every child is different and develops at different paces but my head keeps going back to what he didn't get in the womb.  


Just this week, he decided to start saying a few things.  To start off, he is very polite.  He says "thank you" hundreds of times a day.  And, most of those times, he does this little "tomahawk chop" thing when he does it.  The Seminole fans around here think that is great.  And, thank you sounds more like "Na Nu" but we know what he means and he certainly knows what he means.  We get thanked all day long.  I love it.  


The other thing I really love is "I DEE ET!"  Which, in English is "I did it!'  He says this after accomplishing any sort of climb or dangerous activity.  (Which, is about 90 percent of what he does!!)  He is so proud of himself when he manages to get his body up to a place that is higher than him.  He usually squeals "I dee et!"  Today, my friend Donna had him and she sent a text to saying it sounds like he says "I did it!"  I told her that was exactly what he was saying.  So, I'm glad I'm not dreaming it.  


If you have been around him much, then you know he says "DADA" all the time.  He rarely says "MAMA."  He thinks it is a joke.  If me, Dan or Jonah says "Micah, say mama!," he says "DADA" then giggles his little heart out.  But, what name do you think he calls when he is in the bed and wants out?  It's not dada!


He is also pretty fluent in "AWESOME!"  I blame that solely on Rylan Carlos.  He introduced that word to Jonah and now the two of them say it at least 120 times a week on their play dates.  So, Micah says that too.  


He certainly has other words, but those are his favorites.  He is slowly beginning to "get" the whole talking thing  I remember my friend Diane telling me that 18 months was the magic age for her daughter where words were concerned.  She said at that age, it was like a switch flipped.  And, she was right.  Jonah really started talking then.  I'll be curious to see if the same is true for Micah.  I'm just glad he is finally saying something.  And, that he spends more time each day jabbering.  I don't know what he is saying but he certainly has SOMETHING on his mind!

1 comment:

Penny said...

I wouldn't worry too much! Our oldest grandson was very laid back, developed motor skills late, but talked very early. Our middle grandson, his brother, was pulling up and digging through drawers by seven months~ he was NEVER still! He didn't say much at all for over two years. He could ask for favorite foods, his cup, "owside", etc. but rarely put two words together. (Of course, he knew his Mimi's name.;) We knew he was smart from what he comprehended, but began to think we'd never hear a sentence from him. Right before he turned three, he came in the house for a visit (mind you, he's one of the three that live in Natchez~ so he's here OFTEN) and was talking in complete paragraphs!!! Their little sister was putting three words together by ten months! No joke! Whenever she'd see jewelry/anything sparkly, she'd get execited and say, "Ooooooh, what's thhhhaaatttt?!" Every time somewhere walked into the room, she'd stop and ask, "Who's that?" Cracked us up! Five years later and she's never stopped talking unless she's asleep!
BTW I was never able to take pre-natal vitamins, threw up at least once a day~ every day~ until my first was born. She's been my healthiest child! Old Dr. Godfrey and Purvis said, "the baby always gets what he/she needs." :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails