I've never bought a lottery ticket. I have been to a couple of casinos but only because my last job required me to go there to meet with their billing supervisor because my company serviced them. As best as I can remember, I've never gambled. Unless, of course, you count the raffle ticket or occasional bingo game for a fundraiser?!? And, now that I type that, I can't really think of a time that I ever played bingo either?
Anyway, it seems that everywhere I turned this week, I was hearing about the huge jackpot. Friends who had never before bought a lottery ticket, were standing in long (I'm talking HOURS) lines to get theirs. Facebook was inundated with talk of it. One friend did a post on her blog about what she would do with the money if she won. It made me think about what I would do if I won that much money.
So, here goes...
1. Tithe- I'm a firm believer in tithing. I could tell you crazy stories about how God blessed us financially because we were faithful to give to Him from our first fruits. So, it would be very easy for me to immediately write a check to my church. Fortunately, the amount tithed off such big winnings would pay off our debt at the church. That, in turn would allow us to make some significant staff hires that revolutionize the way we are doing things right now. It would be incredible to immediately hire a full-time Children's pastor and Education Minister. That wouldn't be an issue with a tithe check that large.
2. Work for free- How amazing would it be to continue to Pastor Stetson Baptist church but instead take Dan's salary and use it for a Church plant somewhere? I've always heard that you should find a job that you would do even if you didn't get paid. Dan has found that job in Pastoral Ministry. So, doing it for free would be amazing.
3. Take care of our family- Immediately pay off our mortgage and student loans. Fully fund our retirement and college funds for our kids.
4. Take care of our mothers- It would be so cool to pay off Dan's mom's house and buy my mom a new house. We would also buy both of them safe and roomy vehicles. And, while we are at it, we would do the same for our grandmothers.
5. Pay the debt at FBC, Vidalia- It was such a joy to cast the vision and then lead those people, our friends, through the Catch the Vision campaign for the Sanctuary. They are about $800,000 away from being debt free. I would love to write that final check so that all of their resources can go towards ministry and not debt retirement.
6. Siblings- Between the two of us, we have 3 brothers and 1 sister. Paying off their mortgages and funding their kid's college would bring me incredible joy.
7. RAOK- Random Acts of Kindness. It would be so exciting just to randomly bless strangers. Can you imagine hearing about someone who had a need and being able to just meet that need?
8. New car for Dan- Nothing fancy but considering his gear shift broke off today, it would be nice. I'm guessing he would go for a 2012 Accord. Or, Maybe a Pilot?
9. Travel- I'm not sure we would travel much now but we would definitely make plans for later. You see, in case you haven't traveled with a 16 month old lately...well, let's just say there isn't much fun about that. Some of our destinations would be Hawaii, London, The entire Pacific Coast Highway, an Alaskan Cruise, enough time in NYC to see all of the Broadway Shows we want to see, Colorado, Paris and a Mediterranean Cruise.
10. Meet our sponsored World Vision kids- That is one trip we would make soon. We would go see them and then have a chance to bless their centers, families and villages in major ways. AND, we would love to send other sponsors to meet their sponsored kids.
11. Yearly Mission Trips with our closest friends- It would be so crazy exciting to take a group of people out of the country to minister together.
12. Resurface our pool deck- Small job but it is very slippery.
13. Bless those who gave and did for us over the years never expecting anything in return!
Ahhhh...it is fun to dream!
What would you do with the big jackpot?