Wednesday, August 24, 2011

And, off we go...

The lunch box was packed and ready to go.  His Spiderman water bottle was full of water.  His string cheese was partially opened since he sometimes has a problem getting it open on his own. 

His clothes were laid out on his toy box next to his back pack. There was even a gift for his teacher for the first day of school.


Even the sign was made and ready for him to hold for his pictures on the first day. 
Everything was ready...except his mommy!  Ugh!  Yesterday was just terrible.  Nothing seemed to go right.  I was very emotional.  I was excited for today but couldn't think about it without crying.  I sat at my desk last night after getting everything ready for today and couldn't work for fighting tears.  I know he has to grow up but school just seems so final.  You know, once you start, you have to keep going.  So, I sat at my desk, paid bills, answered lots of texts about his first day and just kept wiping my eyes.

I asked God to make me strong for him.  I didn't want him to see me cry.  I wanted him to see excitement and joy.  I wanted him to feel strong, grown up and empowered to do great things.  I wanted him to be happy.  I went to bed asking God for an easy morning.
I wanted to have something fun for his breakfast this morning so I turned to my dear friend, Pinterest to help me out.  Pinterest had already given me the idea for his teacher gift, teacher note and sign to hold so I felt sure it would come through with a fun breakfast.    I decided on Pancakes with sprinkles.  He loved them.  The first batch turned out more like biscuit dough.  (See picture above!)  I put those in the trash and started on round two.  Those were perfect.  (and he loved them!!!)

I pulled out the red plate that we use on special days.  He smiled super big when he saw it.  He knows the day will be good when he gets to eat off of that plate.  He had a big sprinkle pancake, eggs, sausage and fresh strawberries.  After he was done eating, he said "I remember when I used to get a drink with my food!"  Oops...in all the hoopla, I forgot his Ovaltine Chocolate milk. 
Because we wanted the morning to be special for him, I asked our sweet friends, The Sproull's to come stay with Micah this morning.  They were so sweet to be here at 6:45 a.m. to help us out!! That way, Micah could stay home while we made a big deal out of Jonah's first day.  Normally, Micah wakes up about 9:30 a.m. but I woke him up at 6:30 this morning so he could be in the pictures.  And, I knew that Bill and Sandy didn't want to just come sit.  They wanted to play with that sweet baby.  So, he got to be up and part of everything too. 


As I was getting everything ready last night, I told Dan that having a boy means I can't count on getting a picture with these signs all 12 years.  I'm pretty sure a girl would humor me but a boy will probably put an end to this sooner than I'd like to think about.  Oh well, I'll do it while I can!





He gave Micah big hugs before he left.  Micah never quit grinning.  I think he will be so sad when he realizes Jonah isn't going to be home with us all day like he was this summer. 


As we were walking into school. we ran into Mrs. Denise.  She was Jonah's preschool teacher from last year.  I think he thinks she was there just to see him start Kindergarten.  Apparently he forgot that she has a first grader there!


School starts a little before 8 so as the kids arrive, they have to sit in lines on the stage outside and wait for their teacher to get them.  Since all the Kindergarten kids are doing staggered start (6 kids per day for 3 days) there were only 5 kids in Jonah's line.  We walked him to the stage, gave him hugs and kisses, took a few pictures then stepped away. 

As I walked away from him, he looked up at me and said "Mommy, I'm really gonna miss you!"  In that moment, I was so thankful for the tip about wearing sunglasses.  My eyes filled with tears but he never knew.  I smiled and said "I'm gonna miss you too but you are going to have so much fun and learn so many things that time will pass very fast!"  And, that was it.  He was fine from that moment on. 
We had a big bag full of things off of his teacher's wish list.  It was too big for him to carry so I planned to just put it in her room on the way back to my car.  I saw her and told her I was going to drop it by but she told me the room was locked so just wait and follow them to class.  Umm...okay!  :-) (Parents aren't supposed to go to the classroom!)

Dan & I hung back and let him walk with his class then we followed behind.  In that moment, I discovered his teacher snapping photos.  Yep, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna like her.  :-)

She even stopped them before they got to the door to take a picture of his staggered start group. 
We dropped the bag of wish list items in her room, told him goodbye and darted out of there.  WITHOUT ANY MORE TEARS FROM ME!!!  Whoo-hoo
Seriously, it was a PERFECT morning.  I'm so proud of my big boy.  I know God is going to do great things in and through him this year.  I'm just glad I get to be the one who hears about it first every day!!



I wonder what you are doing right now,
And if everyone is treating you kind.
I hope there is a special person,
A nice friend that you can find.

I wonder if the teacher knows
Just how special you are to me.
And if the brightness of your heart
is something she can see.

I wonder if you are thinking about me,
And if you need a hug.
I already miss the sound of your voice
my little Jonahbug!

I wonder if you could possibly understand
how hard it is for me to let you grow.
On this day, know that my heart breaks,
for this is the first step in letting my baby go.  

via Pinterest

6 comments:

Barb said...

He looks so big with that backpack and his glasses! I hope he has a fabulous first day, and that you make it through without any more tears.

Jenn said...

Aww Nicki, I had tears reading about this, I am expecting my first baby in November and want to keep her in there forever now, I don't want her to grow up, lol. Thanks for sharing Jonah and Micah with us in the blog world, I look forward to reading your blog.

jenny winstead said...

you are one seriously amazing momma! have you ever read the book "let me hold you longer" by karen kingbury? i read it to blaise last night and ended up hyperventilating crying because of how grown up COLE is! he's TEN! jonah and micah are SO SO SO blessed to have you as their mom. you amaze me.

Carolyn Mize said...

O.K...now you are REALLY killing me....I am sobbing right now, because you are sooo right...this is the first BIG step away from us, and on the path to full independence!! Don't count on me tomorrow not to cry....it will be hard becasue it is now final...off he goes!. This mommy "gig" is the most wonderful, yet emotional job on the planet!! I am so GLAD I get to make this school journey with you!! HUGS! Carolyn

Carolyn Mize said...

Beautiful job on covering Jonah's big day!! I sobbed....and plan on more tomorrow as he starts for good!! You are right...it is the start of their independent journey....so bittersweetbut part of the plan for their lives!!! Glad to be making this school journey with you!!!

Karen said...

Ok, so my baby's only 6 mos, but those pictures seriously made me cry!! I loved the ones that showed him with his backpack! What a big boy! (and I love the names Jonah and Micah)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails