Friday, November 5, 2010

Early morning conversations

On a typical weekday morning, Jonah wakes up between 7:45 and 8:00 a.m. That used to be much earlier when he was allowed to get up and turn on the TV. But, we made the rule of no TV before school so now he just rolls over and goes back to sleep. Because he gets about two more hours of sleep a night, he no longer takes naps during the day. By the time 7 p.m. rolls around, he is ready for bed. It literally takes seconds for him to fall asleep after his head hits the pillow.

This morning, I walked back to his room at 6:00 a.m. and when I opened his door, he turned and looked at me and said "I've been laying here waiting on a grown up to lay beside me. You and Daddy are both grown ups so I wanted one of you." I crawled into his bed (one of the many reasons I'm glad his crib converted to a double bed) and snuggled him up really close. As I was rubbing his hair, he said "Mommy, I had a dream about ghosts last night!" This has been a recurring theme since our trip to LA last month.
(Thank you, Jimmy HIbbs!!!!)

Rather than even allowing him to tell me about the ghosts, I said "Jonah, do you know what the Bible says about things you think about? It says that whatever things are TRUE, GOOD and PURE that these are the things we should think about. So, the next time you dream about ghosts, try to think about something good like playing with your friends. Or, think about something true like how much mommy and daddy love you. Okay?"

He said, "I'll try but I'll probably just think about good ghosts instead because that is more fun!"

Alrighty then, moving on! :-)

It is still very dark outside and from what I read before my EARLY bedtime last night, it is supposed to be a cold morning. So, I told Jonah when he got up that he would put on long pants and a long sleeve shirt. I talked to him about the weather change and how happy I was to finally have some cool weather. Then I said, and cooler weather means it is that much closer to Micah getting here and living with us. He asked again when Micah was coming and I told him again that it would be Tuesday if not sooner.

He said "Oh Mommy, when you go to that hospital to have Micah and I'm not with you and Daddy, how long will we be apart?" I go into great detail of where we would be and where he would be and how much fun he would have with Frank, Margie and their family. I told him about all the fun things he would do with them and how they would bring him to the hospital to see Micah and us but that we could hardly wait to see him every day. I explained how hospitals aren't much fun for little boys so that is why he is staying with Frank and Margie. I went on and on and on. He said "Mommy, but for how long?" I said "Oh baby, only for 2-3 days!" He started crying and said "That isn't long enough for all the fun I wanted to have with them. Can I stay a little longer after you come to get me?"

Adjusted much? Yes, I think so! At least that is one less thing for me to worry about as I deliver Micah. It really does my heart good to know he feels so loved and secure with people AND with us. To know that he knows he is loved and wanted where ever we trust people enough to leave him is such a gift.

I could tell he was still sleepy so I told him I was leaving for a while and would be back in to check on him and then wake him up soon. I kissed him, crawled out the bed and as I went to shut his door, his sweet, tender voice said "Mommy?" "Yes, baby?" I said. "I'll just lay here and thing about ghosts and bad guys instead of all that stuff from the Bible that you just told me about, okay?"

Glad to see my little pep talks take root so quickly! :-)

2 comments:

Penny said...

Your kid cracks me up! You are going to be so glad you wrote all of this down one day~ I know you already are glad, but you really will forget more than you think and this "journal" is priceless. Hope Micah is here soon and Jonah gets enough 'me time' with your friends. ;)

Cristi said...

He's a hoot!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails