Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Story


WOW! What a whirlwind we have had here the last few days!!! To say we are shocked is an understatement. We were done having kids. We were set on life as it we knew it. We had no plans to have another baby. God thought different! I assure you, after all we went through to have Jonah, we consider this news a huge blessing. Are we shocked and surprised? Yes! Do we know how blessed we are? YES! I'll admit, in the first few minutes of seeing the 2 pink lines, my happiness immediately turned to sadness for so many friends/family who have longed/begged/cried/prayed for a baby. So, I paused to ask God to give them the desire of their heart while I thanked him for the chance to be mommy again. Many of those sweet friends/family read this blog. Just don't give up hope! I'll keep praying and hoping with you!!


I had no reason to believe or suspect that I would be pregnant. Although, it is a little ironic to me that it took us 3.5 years to get pregnant with Jonah and here we are 3.5 years later and pregnant with baby #2. I was incredibly exhausted last week. I could barely hold my eyes open. We normally go to bed at midnight each night but I found myself in bed before 10 a couple of different times. Then, on Thursday, I had my big Tupperware Open House. I worked ALL DAY long cleaning house then greeting people and taking orders. When I woke up Friday morning, I could barely move. I was so tired.


Dan worked Friday so I spent the day trying to decide how I got so lazy after not working for 6 months. I've worked a full-time job since I was 15 years old so I just assumed the 6 months at home since we moved here made me so useless that I couldn't work a long day without getting exhausted! (So glad that wasn't the actual case!!) I picked Jonah up from school and had to fight to keep my eyes open on the way. I turned on to Taylor Road headed home then decided to cut through Long Leaf Plantation and head to
CVS to buy a test.


I came home and immediately took the test. It only took seconds for the first line to show then the second one came. OH
JEEPERS!!! I looked at the clock to see it was 1:14 p.m. Dan wasn't due home for another couple of hours. SO, I had to call someone. SO, I did! They freaked out with me. I realized that even thought I was so completely shocked, I still wanted to tell Dan in somewhat of a creative way. (Watch Video below)





Yep, I let Jonah tell him! Jonah had no idea what the test was but he couldn't wait to say SURPRISE! Dan, as you saw, was completely surprised. As you can see, Jonah wants a brother and wants him name to be Sammy. (By the way, not gonna happen!!) Later that night, he decided he would rather name the baby Jesus. (Once again, not gonna happen!) From those first two suggestions from Jonah, we have decided not to let him be involved in the naming process. :-)

I've never been one to wait on telling people about pregnancy. I understand the thought behind "what if something happens?" but I only see that as on opportunity to have more people praying for me if something DID happen. My only priority was to make sure the grandparents all knew before the news was public. We would have probably waited just week or so but since my mom and grandmother were coming to our house the next day, we really wanted to tell them in person. I had seen this super cute shirt at Carters before I left LA. I called one of the outlet malls to see if they had it. Since they did, they held it for me. I swung by to get it before heading to meet my family at Sweet Tomatoes.
After they got the news and recovered from their shock, we headed home to take some pictures of Jonah in his shirt to send to the other grandparents. You can go here to see the picture they got and the video of Jonah's announcement. Dan's mom immediately called and then Dan's grandmother. Later that night, Dan's dad and Linda called. Once they all heard the news, we were very happy to share with others.
We still kept things a little quiet because Dan wanted to tell the church this morning. It was a very fun announcement at the end of each service. He had one of these pictures flash up on the screen. It took a few seconds for things to register. People saw the cute face then realized the words on his shirt. There were lots of cheers and applause. (and even a few tears!)
I've spent the afternoon answering calls, texts and facebook messages. I still have many phone calls and emails to return but let me say here just how grateful we are for your many words of kindness. While we are shocked and surprised, we are overjoyed. We trust the providence of God and know that His ways and will are much higher than ours. We are asking Him already to help us be good parents. Before Jonah, we knew nothing about parenting. Now, we only know how to parent one child. And, sometimes, I'm not so sure we know how to do that! We are totally dependent on His leadership when it comes to raising Godly kids.
The last 3.5 years with Jonah have been so happy. He is such an easy, wonderful, joyful and precious little boy. I don't doubt that I can love more than one child. People do it every day. But, I get a little sad thinking of Jonah. I feel like he has been the center of our world for his whole little life and we are about to disrupt that world. My friend Aja is pregnant with her 2nd and I've been reading her blog and just crying with her over her feelings for her little guy. I totally get her feelings now. All of you moms out there know that our feelings are totally unfounded because you have a house full of kiddos. But for now, we have to wait to experience that for ourselves. The little boy sleeping in the back of my house will be fine. And, somewhere along the way, this mommy's heart will expand with love for the new little life growing inside of me...all the while knowing "The Lord has done great things for us and we are filled with JOY!"

20 comments:

Amanda said...

Wonderful, wonderful post! Can't wait for the newest Baby Glenn :) Just wish I was there to photograph that day :) Love you guys!

Penny said...

With all the Disney in the last few months, Jonah probably thinks that is a magic wand to make a brudder or sister. lol Congratulations! We're all excited for y'all!
Guess you can edit your cardboard testimony a little, huh? Wow! Two miracles in the same house! God is good. =)

Penny said...

I forgot to say, someone should have warned that this is what happens when you get rid of your baby things! lol

{Louisiana.Bride} said...

You are making me cry before I have to go to work! Love this post, and love Dan's face in the video. After all y'all went through this is truly amazing, I am so happy for you guys. We will be praying for you and the baby!

Jami Ainsworth said...

Again, again, again and again, Congratulations and I am sooooo proud for you. I do totally know your feelings about concern for the first child. Yours are going to be in age difference about like like mine...actually Jonah will be closer to 4 1/2 yrs whereas Cameron had turned 4 three weeks before Cari was born...but yet very comparable. I remember thinking while loving on him how would could I love another child as much as him. He already filled my heart. Yes, our heart grows! I also remember all the other concern and it was well over 21 years ago, but some things are etched into our memory. I am sure you and Dan will prepare Jonah very well. I know there are time where children are forced to be only children, but I will never understand someone intention planning it. It is so good for a child to share his/her world with a sibling. I am sooooo glad that Jonah will have that opportunity. LOVE, LOVE YOUR POST AND ANNOUCEMENT!

Love yall!

Barb said...

I couldn't be happier for you guys. This is awesome news! Thanks for sharing the story and video with us. Dan's face was priceless!

Avery's Mommy said...

Totally w/ you on the sooner you tell, the more people are praying! I AM ONE OF THEM! Jonah will be even happier with Sammy or Jesus running around with him! Yay for God's wonderful miracles.

Baylee's Mommy said...

I remember when you told me you were pregnant with Jonah and crying, and the same applies this go round. So happy for the three of you!

winstead family said...

nikki, i am sooo happy for yall, but i know you know that i just went through the entire sibling being born with cole. he was 8 when we had blaise and even though your heart DOES expand and you can't imagine life without the new addition, i still think you have to be very sure to plan to spend lots of time with jonah by yourself...not for his sake, but for yours. :) again, i wouldn't take anything for the way things are now. the best thing is seeing them together. cole is blaise's world and it's love in the purest form.

Katie (and Tony) said...

ok, i had tears....love it all!

Cristi said...

What a great story. Loved the video! Congratulations again.

Audra Laney said...

I'm so glad you posted the video! That was priceless!

Jami Ainsworth said...

I watched the video after commenting. What a great way to share the news with daddy! I even showed it to Randy. He doens't get into blogging updates that much. But he loved the video too!

Kacie said...

So sweet!! You will be a WONDERFUL Mommy to two kids! I loved the shocked look on Dan's face.
That was priceless!

Texas Stricklands said...

I guess we will get to meet the Glenn kidS at the same time in late November! Such exciting, blessed news! You will continue to be in our prayers. We are so excited for you! We are watching the evolution of Kaden's "big brother" adventure-- since he is ahead of Jonah by about 6 months, we will let you know how he fares! Love you! Buddy & Melinda

Jessica said...

Really really enjoyed your post about "the story" and the video! So cute! Congrats to you and your family!!!! Keep us posted!!!

LeAndMatt said...

Ok...let's just say last Sunday morning when I got the news on Twitter I had the biggest smile on my face. Funny how God surprises us sometimes! And the video of Dan finding out PRICELESS!

You, Baby G, and the rest of the Glenn Gang will be in our prayers!

~LeAnna

arielrushing said...

I don't know you guys very well. I was only around Dan a little bit for VBS a few years back. He was so nice to me and I think your family is gorgeous! I was brought to tears when reading this...I wish you the best of luck with this new addition.

Cristy said...

LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED this!!! Whenever we have our second, I want to do this. That would be AWESOME. Thanks for sharing.

Kirby and Anna said...

I stopped over from Kelly's and I loved watching your video... too cute :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails