Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Space Shuttle Launch

On the day Dan's mom flew back to Mississippi, I was on the way home from the airport when my phone rang. My friend and favorite hula hooper, Reagan called and mentioned the shuttle launch. I told him that we hoped to see one at Kennedy Space Center soon but couldn't do it that day. The more we talked about it, the more excited I got. We knew that we would be able to see it from our yard so I was in a hurry to get Jonah from school so we could get home to see it. I mentioned to Jonah that we were in a hurry and his teacher suggested we head to Daytona Beach rather than our front yard. Jonah heard the word BEACH and was immediately on board.



On our way to the house to change clothes, I called Dan to let him know where we were going. He could not let us go without him so he told us to stop by and pick him up. He had just finished a funeral and was in no way dressed for the beach but he really wanted to see the launch.


While Dan kept watch of the countdown clock on his phone, Jonah played in the water, the sand and with his John Deere toy. (Just so you know, I'm pretty sure that was the only John Deere toy on the beach in Daytona!)








The countdown hit zero so we turned to watch the sky. It really was an incredible sight. We were both surprised that we didn't hear anything but the coolest thing happened. About five minutes after liftoff, the rumble came. It was so interesting to hear that long after the thing took off.







We are scheduled to be at Kennedy Space Center in February for the launch that is happening then. Dan's mom had already scheduled to fly back in for the week and it just so happened to work out that the next launch is when she is here. I can only imagine what we will see being just miles away from the launch pad. Seeing this from the beach was incredible but being that close will be just amazing.

4 comments:

Barb said...

I am so jealous! I've always wanted to see a shuttle launch.

Anonymous said...

Count me in. Ha Ha. We loved the night launch.
Reagan

rob h said...

We were in Melbourne for training in July 1999 when Columbia took off at night on STS-93. At launch, we were about 11 miles away sitting on the edge of the water in Titusville, and it took about a minute for the sound to catch up to us there.

And when it did finally catch up to us, the only thing I could compare it to was being in Tiger Stadium in 2000 when LSU was on the comeback.

Definitely one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Amber said...

OK ~I am moving in with yall! Yall are having way too much fun and making me jealous! ;) This was TOOOOO cool!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails