Monday, September 21, 2009

Update on our life

Wow! Have we only been here a week? We have accomplished so many things in that short amount of time. Although, if you stepped inside my front door right now, you might disagree. I'm going on record stating that a move is harder with a three year old and a dog. This is our first move with the two of them and that really adds a whole other dynamic!!

Jonah is handling things so well. We started praying months ago that he would adjust well and that God would prepare his heart for all that was going to happen around him. We prayed specifically that he would make connections with a couple of families. Let me just tell you, that little guy has handled this like a champ. Because of our crazy schedule, he is getting 2-3 hours LESS of sleep a day and you would never know it. He started preschool last Tuesday and after an initial "Mommy, if you want to stay with me, I'll say please!" before I left, he did great. No tears when I left and nothing but smiles when Dan picked him up that afternoon. His school is excellent and I can already tell he is learning so much.

Those of you at FBC, Vidalia know that Jonah was very comfortable there. From the time he was a baby, he was very social and very happy to spend time with all of you. When we walked in the door there, someone got him and we usually did not see him again until it was time to go. That was a huge concern for us here. We wanted him to have uncles and aunts and grandparents here like he had there. There are already three families who he just adores. He has yet to sit with us at a meal and we have been there three times for events that involved food. He even asks for them to take him to the nursery. That is huge. At FBCV, Tammy, Cindy or Roy always took him because he requested that. I'm so glad to see that happen here too.

His 3 year old well check is today and he gets to meet his new "Docka Russ!" He has already attended his first high school football game, swam with doggies at Reggie & Kim's, been to the Barker's property to feed Sysco the goat and all of his friends, helped Stephanie drive the mule and had WAY too much pizza.

Oh, one of the most exciting things about our move is that we now have neighbors with kids! Like, kids his exact age!!! I'm so happy about this. Yesterday afternoon, we met one set of neighbors who came over with cookies. They have three kids, 6, 3 and 1. The three year old is a boy too. Then, our next door neighbor has a 3 year old boy too. They came over and brought a beautiful plant yesterday. Jonah was napping both time so he hasn't met them yet. I envision many days of my front door swinging open and little boys running through my house. I CAN'T WAIT!

Dan is slowly getting his bearings here. He spent much of last week meeting with staff and acquainting himself with the church. As of now, he hasn't even opened one box at his office. There are so many people to meet and things to figure out that I'm not sure when that will happen. He totally brought it yesterday morning during both services. I was so proud of him. He spoke with such boldness and assurance and it was incredible to see God's spirit move in that room as He used Dan. It is obvious the amount of praying this church has done for their next Pastor. I can't wait until next Sunday.

And me, well, I'm tired! It seems this house will never be in order but I'm coming to terms with that. I'm realizing my priorities are less about a house but more about the people that live in it. I'm taking the house as it comes but taking full advantage of opportunities to care for my family, meet new friends and get involved with ministry. I got to go the kickoff meeting of MOPS last Monday morning. Then, I went to the Friday night session of our Fall Women's Retreat at the Orlando Marriott Friday night. I'm super excited about plugging in to the ministries here.

We feel so loved, so cared for, so prayed for and so appreciated already. The people here are very affirming to us and the ministry God has called us to. The next months are going to be crazy busy but we are up for the challenge. There is nothing quite like being right in the center of God's will for your life. While it is hard to walk away from what is comfortable, friends you love and another place that you have seen God work, it is necessary for growth!

I'm sorry this post is all rambling and no pictures. Those are coming, I promise. But, for now, I'll leave you with this one Tracee took last night at the reception. I'm thinking Jonah enjoyed his blue cupcake!


1 comment:

Aunt Debra said...

Okay, I can finally say I am so happy for all of you! I am glad things are all falling into place -as they should. I know God will continue to bless you. Miss you more than you know!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails