Sometimes, life is just hard. It seems so unfair that some kids are born completely healthy and some have to struggle for everything. I look at Jonah and feel completely grateful to God for his life and health. Then, I look at our friends Steve and Shiloh and can only pray God will grant them wisdom and peace.
When we moved to Texas for Seminary, we had the opportunity to serve on staff at FBC, Glen Rose. The church was an hour from the Seminary but they quickly became our family. They loved us, supported us, discipled us and prayed for us. The pastor, Brent Ferren is still one of our dear friends. His grandson (Steve and Shiloh's baby boy) was born in April and has some significant health issues. Here is an excerpt from their first blog post.
"Kyle Bradley Staples was born Friday, April 24th 2009 in Stephenville, TX. Seemingly, everything was great with Kyle. He had a fast delivery with no complications; however, that day the Pediatrician picked up on a heart murmur. She checked his oxygen levels, and they were low. She informed Kyle's Mommy and Daddy that he would need to be moved to Cook Children's Hospital in Fort Worth for further testing. Kyle was 12 hours old when the Teddy Bear Transport team from Cook Children's arrived. He rode by ambulance to the hospital with his Daddy by his side. His Mommy, Shiloh, was released from the hospital only 15 hours after giving birth. She was rushed to Fort Worth to be by Kyle's side. At the hospital, many tests were done and it was discovered that the left side of Kyle's heart was underdeveloped. The aortic valve was too small and the aortic arch was too narrow. Steve and Shiloh were informed that Kyle would require open heart surgery. The news was devastating!! Here is a timeline of events for the past month."
I logged on a little after midnight tonight to check on them and was very sad to discover that little Kyle isn't doing very well. The doctors have asked them to make a decision that no parent should ever have to make. Take a moment and read their latest entry.
The doctor came by tonight and talked with us. To summarize, he basically told us we were to the point where we were hurting Kyle unnecessarily.
We told Abigail today that the doctors thought brother was going to die. That was hard. She took it better than we did. We'll see if it sinks in; she's only four, but she's so smart.
We are going to try to meet with Dr. Susan Davis tomorrow. Shiloh and I really connected with her, and she also seems to be the most optimistic. If she agrees with the other doctors that we need to quit, then we will have a decision to make. A decision that no parent should ever have to make.
Kyle has basically been on life support (breathing machine) for over ten weeks. I think what the doctors are saying is that whether we turn the breathing machine off or leave it on, it doesn't change his chances of healing. The only difference is how long he survives.
The God we serve is powerful enough to heal Kyle, regardless of our decision. I know that. He opens doors that no one can close, and He closes doors that no one can open. We're just praying that we make decisions for Kyle that honor God and are in accordance with His will.
I'm still praying that God will heal little Kyle's body. Perhaps the Lord will be gracious to me and let the child live. We'll see. It ain't over till it's over.
Will you join me in praying for Steve, Shiloh and their extended families? You can get to their blog by clicking HERE. Leave a comment for them. I know they need all the love, support and encouragement they can get right now.