Monday, July 27, 2009

Happy Birthday, Jonah!

Dear sweet birthday boy,

Three years? WOW!

I feel so incredibly blessed to be your mommy. I wanted you for a really long time and sometimes still have a hard time believing God gave you to us! You bring such joy to my life. I knew you would change our lives but I had no idea how much better I would want to be just because of you.

Jonah, you smile with your whole face. I never get tired of seeing that. You bring joy to the lives of so many people. If I had a dollar for all the people who tell me how much you mean to them, you would have no worries about how to pay for college!! You love people with every fiber of your being. Sometimes, I fight back tears when I see grown people on their knees, eye to eye playing with you. It is always a contest to see who is smiling bigger, you or them.


My favorite part of the day is when you run to me at night to say "I gotta give you a hug and a kiss, k?" Oh wait, maybe that comes in second. My most favorite time is when you sneak into our room in the morning and say "Mommy, are you awake?" Then, you ask if I want to "sun-nuggle!" I'm pretty sure you know by now that my answer is ALWAYS yes! It sure is hard to get out of bed and start the day when you are holding on so tight.

I love how you giggle when you watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. And, I always laugh when you tell Max to "get in your crate...RIGHT NOW!" While the endless requests for sword fights get old at times, I can't imagine a day without one. I love how you ask for "just a lil bit of juice or milk" when you know it is past the time for any at night. I keep asking you to show me how old you are because I can't get over how cute you look when you try to make 3 with your fingers. Hearing you pray is the sweetest and most precious experience of my life.

I can't believe you already know that "God and Jesus are in Heaven. Jesus got to Heaven from the cross. Heaven is Zion and we march to Zion!" That just proves to me that my responsibility to teach you about Jesus is so important. Your favorite Bible stories are David & Goliath, Zaccheus and Jonah & the whale. It is so stinkin' cute when you say "Jonah disobeyed God and that whale ate him but he spit ME right back out!" You sometimes get confused and insert yourself into the story. I'm hoping that doesn't scare you when you meet Shamu at Sea World next month!!!
We made a decision early on to "share" you with people. Because of your dad's job, we are around a lot of different people all the time. We know lots of preachers who shield their kids from church people and try to keep their kids in their sight all the time while at church. We knew that if we opened you up to people that you would learn to be social, well-rounded and not so dependent on us. That is a decision we do not regret at all. We let people into your little life and you have so benefited from it. You have more "aunts and uncles, grandparents and special friends" than anyone else I know. While you love freely and allow so many people into your life, you are always happiest with Mommy or Daddy. (and that makes us happy!) Jonah, while I'm quite sure you have no clue what the significance of a birthday is, I want you to know that all day today, I celebrate you! I thank God for letting me borrow you for a little while. I will spend this day thinking back three years ago and how I felt when you were placed in my arms but most of all I will spend this day thanking God for your life and how you already point people to Jesus by just being yourself. I love you little buddy! I can't wait to see all the ways God is going to use you for His glory! And, just like I tell you every day, You are my favorite little boy in the whole wide world! I love you!

Love, Mommy

7 comments:

Amber said...

Such a sweet entry ~ There is nothing like a little boy lovin' on his Mommy! Hope you both have a great day!!!! :)

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday, Jonah! I wish I was there to give you a big kiss and a hug, but we're letting Eli go to the ocean for the first time :) Sweet boy, you have been such a blessing in my life from the time I first found out you were in your Mommy's tummy. You make me smile and I love watching you get to experience fun and new things. You were my first practice baby and I love that I have been able to be a part of your life. I love you so much!!! ~Manna :)

Audra said...

How sweet! I love this post. Thanks for sharing Jonah with us. I would love to be able to meet this little man in person one day--to see his big smile in real time! Happy birthday, sweet Jonah!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR SWEET JONAH. WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH. MAMMY AND UNCLE CLARE.

Penny said...

Such a sweet post! The pictures are adorable. I think the last is my favorite! There's just something about a little boy and his pockets. You never know what you're goig to find in there. Depends on what his "treasure of the day" is. LOL

K Storm said...

That is so sweet! Happy Birthday to your sweet boy!

Sugar's Mommy said...

We love you Jonah. And your Mommy and Daddy too. You and Sara Madalin are going to be so happy together some day. ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails