Thursday, May 14, 2009

10 years ago...

This time ten years ago, I was having a hard time going to sleep. I was spending my final night as a single girl in my single bed! When I woke up the next morning, life as I knew it was going to change. So, as I laid in my bed, I began to imagine all that my life was going to be. NEVER in a million years did I imagine the life I have now. But, never in a million years would I trade it either.

Dan and I just watched the video of our Rehearsal Dinner. So many memories! You may not know this but my dress got lost at the bridal shop and I went to rehearsal without a guarantee they could find it. Just imagine a bride with no wedding dress! But, I wasn't stressed! We just watched the video of that ordeal and I was smiling and laughing. You see, I was blissfully happy. My happiness was not dependent on a dress, my happiness was dependent upon a relationship. (And, just so you know, I finally got my dress at about 15 hours before I had to be dressed! Whew!)

We laughed hysterically at our bridesmaids and groomsmen. They were hilarious then and still are today. It is so interesting to look back at the people that we chose to stand next to us on the most important day of our married lives and realize that all of them (except one) is still intricately involved in our lives today. Only one of those friends have we not seen or talked to but he moved away right after our wedding and has a very important and busy job!

It was sad to see the video of my dad and Dan's Grandpa who have since died. They were both so happy for us and were thrilled to share the evening with us. It was good to see their faces and hear their voices one more time. I'm sad Jonah will never know them. (Dan has actually lost both of his grandfathers since then but Granddaddy wasn't at the rehearsal that night!)

It was sobering to see how much hair we had and much weight we didn't have. Whew! (and, we were both very tanned!!!)

Most of all, it was encouraging to see that our love has not wavered. We stood that night and thanked friends and family for supporting us and helping us to get to the place we were. We stood on the brink of new and exciting adventures. We were unsure of what was ahead of us but so sure of the partner we had chosen to walk beside us. Ten years later, we still feel the same.

Tomorrow we will celebrate the day we pledged our lives and love to each other. We won't be in the Virgin Islands like we had originally planned. But, we will be with each other and truthfully, no island is better than that!!

5 comments:

NeNe said...

WOW - Congrats. Hope you both have a fantastic day today and May God continue to bless your family. We love you so much and so blessed to call you friends!

Penny said...

Congratulations! Larry and I celebrated 19 years this April. Well, we didn't really "celebrate" since he was working that whole weekend. It also fell on Easter Sunday this time. Next year, we'll try to do it up big. =)
Have a good weekend.

Audra said...

That last sentence is so true! Happy anniversary to you guys! Here's to at least 50 more wonderful years!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary you two...hope you have a great day (and night)!!!

winstead family said...

happy anniversary nikki! what a beautiful post...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails