Thursday, March 12, 2009

Harder than I thought

You see that little boy in the picture with me? I love him more than I ever thought possible. He makes me a better person. He is such a precious gift from God that I am so thankful for. And, just so you know, right this moment, I am missing him TONS!!! It is almost 1:00 a.m. and I left today headed towards Nashville for a conference for Minister's Wives. It is something I know I need and can only imagine how great it will be for me but I sure miss my family. Jonah was well taken care of today by the Hargons and had an absolute blast with them until Dan was done with choir late tonight. By the time he got out of choir, I had been driving over 5 hours.

I'm not used to being the one away from home. Dan has spent many nights away from home due to church, conferences and school. I've never left the two of them behind. It is a really odd feeling. Because of Dan's work schedule, we had to rely on friends to help care for Jonah. As I told Dan the ins and outs of everything he looked at me and said, "would you write that down?" So, I did! I made him a complete schedule of what to do for Jonah and highlighted things that required attention from him. OCD? Yeah, a bit!

Actually, in my defense, AND HIS, I didn't leave any instructions on how to care for Jonah. Dan is a hands-on daddy that can completely care for his son. He doesn't need instructions on how to bathe him or put him to bed or feed him or any of that stuff. These instructions were about where he was to take Jonah and pick him up and what times. (and, which clothes for him to wear. But, I just realized I forgot to write down what he needs to wear for Sunday. Let's talk about that, okay babe?)


lI spent a little time this morning loving on my little boy. Then, my furry child got a bit jealous and wanted to join in on the fun. Jonah loves, loves, loves, loves Max. He giggles and belly laughs when Max is around. It is really sweet. I even miss that crazy, yappy dog!!

You can see Jonah checking out my highlighted instruction sheet. I just hope Daddy doesn't misplace his copy. (I made 2 and put them in different places, just in case!)
We had a bit of an odd morning because Dan wanted to be in the office by 8:30 but I only had one car seat in my car. (The Hargon's have the other one to use while they take care of Jonah this week while I'm away.) So, I went to get Julia and then took her to preschool. Dan took Jonah to preschool, met me at the door with him and then he left for work. Since we were over 30 minutes early, they got to play in the 2 year old class room. They had a great time together but I realized my time to tell Jonah goodbye was quickly approaching. I felt my self starting to be sad.



When Mrs. Alisa walked in the room with all the early care kids, I put Jonah up on the counter, reminded him of how much I loved him and that I wouldn't see him until Sunday night. We shared lots of hugs and kisses while I fought back the tears. I put him down and said "See ya later, okay?" He said "You coming back for me?" Aw man, broke my heart. I explained to him again that I wouldn't see him for several days but that he was going home with Marlie Hargon. (We use her first and last name now for some reason!!!) He was A-OK with going home with her!!

7 comments:

Danielle said...

bless your heart! i can just imagine how you must feel. i have a tough time leaving O just with a sitter for several hours. he'll be in great hands i know. hope you have a great and fun trip!

Jami Ainsworth said...

At least it's the whole week. I know the first time I left my family...the first few days away was the hardest...probably because I was sick with bad sinus problems then too, but by the time I seemed to adjust to it and start enjoying my school, it was over and I was on my way home. Once you get busy at the conference (when you are not thinking about how much you miss your guys), it will get better! And you'll have fun!

4 J's said...

I have been away, alone, only one or two times from either of my kids. I will pray for you...I know you will miss him but he is going to have so much fun with his Daddy and the look on his face when you get home will make up for the lost time!

destinmimi said...

Nicki,
I am not sure that we have ever met, but I have been following your blog for a long time. We go to Parkway and met Dan when Tommy Quinn was here and our choirs did some things together. Anyway, I just want to tell you that the time you are going to spend hearing Beth Moore this weekend will be SO worth leaving your family for a few days! You will come back renewed and refreshed! I am assuming you have never been to one of her conferences. Once you have, you will want to go back over and over again! We(Parkway) are taking a group to her Living Proof Live conference in New Orleans the first weekend in April and I can't wait!! This will be my 4th or 5th time to go to one. Enjoy very minute and don't worry about Jonah and Dan.. they will be just fine!

Martha Salters

amber said...

Hope you have a great time! Try to relax (and get some extra sleep)! I will be praying for your boys while you are away...and for you,too! :)

Cristi said...

Absence makes the heart grow fonder! I am jealous - A ministers wives conference! Have Fun

Anonymous said...

Its gonna be great time and i know you will miss Dan and Jonah and Max cause i see it in your face when you gave Jonah a hug have fun!!Dude

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails