Monday, February 16, 2009

Conquering a fear...

OF THE VACUUM CLEANER!!!!

For quite some time now, Jonah has been very afraid of the vacuum cleaner. He was so terrified that he would just burst into tears. It was very sad to see. I knew this was a fear we needed to conquer because we will always have a vacuum cleaner. One option was to just quit using it but I could not figure out how to make that work. :-)

So, when I rearranged Jonah's room last Wednesday, I let him follow me down the hall as I pushed it. We talked all about the vacuum cleaner and what its purpose is. He was very brave as long as he was behind me. When I turned towards his room, he ran to the bathroom and closed the door.

I didn't turn it on but I sat and talked to it. (Yes, I looked like a crazy lady!) I told the vacuum all about Jonah and his room. I pointed out all of Jonah's toys and sang some of the songs that Jonah likes. He slowly peeked his head out of the door and said he wanted to come sing too. So, he came and sat in my lap and we sang some more. Then we petted the vacuum just like we do Max. Jonah realized it wasn't so bad after all.
I told him how loud it was going to be when we turned it on. We talked about EVERYTHING and I finally convinced him to push the red button to turn it on. He jumped and started to cry but then looked at it and said "You hush!!!" Then, I let go and he pushed it all by himself. I was so proud!!!


1 comment:

Andrew, Audra & Drew said...

Great idea! Drew's eyes always get huge when I'm using the vacuum so I always sing his favorite songs when I use it, hoping he won't fear the vacuum cleaner as well!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails