Saturday, December 13, 2008

Sadness...


When Dan & I started the process to adopt 2 children from Russia, I met an incredible lady named Karin Faulkner. Karin is the reason I blog today. When she brought her son Kevin home from Russia, she started a blog and shared it with me. She and I are kindred spirits! We are alike in so many ways. We have had many long chats about all the similarities in our lives. We met our husbands in the same month and year. We married in the same month and year. We both drove Toyota Highlanders. Then, within a few weeks, we both bought Honda Odysseys. We are both huge Amazon.com shoppers. We both go to Disney World every year. She actually made a list on time of everything that we share. It was scary actually. She lives in Cary, North Carolina and we even talked of our family vacationing there to spend time with them.

Earlier this year, I posted an entry on our blog to pray for The Faulkners because they were headed to Vietnam to get their little boy...Kien. Due to some difficulty with Aria's adoption, they would have to return for her later. Many of you prayed for them and asked me about them and their process in the adoption.

In September, Karin was having extreme back pain, went to the doctor and was shocked to discover she had kidney cancer. She is 34 years old with 2 children under 4 at home with her and 1 more waiting on her in Vietnam. Her prognosis was great! In November, Steve traveled to Vietnam to get Aria and bring her home to her forever family.

Last weekend, Karin started feeling pretty yucky. She even posted about it on her blog and Facebook. Tuesday, her doctor instructed her to go the ER. Today, Karin will probably go home to meet Jesus. Her liver, kidney (one was taken out to remove the cancer) and heart have failed. This all came on so quickly and unexpected as a result of pneumonia.

My heart is so sad!  She has twin one year old children and a four year old who thinks she hung the moon. Her parents are beyond heartbroken! And, her friends all around this country are in shock!!!

Please pray for this special family! The picture I posted of them was taken 2 weeks ago. This family was full of hope for their future. Now, everything seems unclear! If you want to read more about Karin and her family, click HERE for her public blog! She has 2 private blogs that you have to be invited to and she is the only one who can do that. But, everyone can see the public one.

3 comments:

Sara Madalin's Mommy said...

I'm sorry Nicki. I'll be praying for you.

Katie (and Tony) said...

Nicki, I think you did a very nice synopsis of Karin's illness. I know this was so hard for you to put together during such a sad time. I'm going to miss her too. I told Tony today she would have given me the shirt off her back if I needed it. I am numb. I still don't understand. She was fine a few days ago...I can't help but look at my sweet boy and wonder you would tell him in this situation. How will they tell Kevin and how will he handle this? I keep checking her blog.. But do call me or email me to make sure I saw the last update. I'll do the same.

Jeff, Abbey, and Reed Land said...

That is so sad, thanks for the link. I will check the blog frequently and pray. It looks as if she might be doing a little better with the last update.

BTW, that is a painting of Nelson Hall. We bought it from a student at the Brick Street Festival for pretty cheap. He's now selling his art for thousands of dollars. We were his first painting to sell.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails