Tuesday, November 18, 2008

"Love you Forever"

When I was expecting Jonah, I bought lots of books and even received many as gifts. I bought a very sweet book called "Love You Forever." I saw this book first at Darla's baby shower when she received it from a family member as a gift. I read it then and had to buy my own copy since I was expecting my own little boy soon.

When Jonah was a baby, Dan & I both read that book to him and one day Dan made up how he thought the tune would be. So, we started singing those words to him in our own made up tune. For two years now, Jonah has heard those words over and over.

Well, last night Jonah was very sleepy but it was still about 30 minutes before his bedtime. So, I asked him if he wanted to sit in my lap. He climbed up and then put his head on my shoulder and said "Sing, mommy!" I sang a couple of songs and he never moved. He just laid there very still while slowly drifting off. Then, I sang the familiar words from the book. "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be!" He immediately sat up and looked at me with heavy eyes and in a sleepy voice said "I not a baby, I a big boy!" then he laid right back down! I had to laugh but I also had to realize that he was right! My baby is more of a big boy every day!!!



If you are a mom of a little boy, this book is a must have for you! Here is the Amazon.com synopsis of the book.

The mother sings to her sleeping baby: "I'll love you forever / I'll like you for always / As long as I'm living / My baby you'll be." She still sings the same song when her baby has turned into a fractious 2-year-old, a slovenly 9-year-old, and then a raucous teen. So far so ordinary--but this is one persistent lady. When her son grows up and leaves home, she takes to driving across town with a ladder on the car roof, climbing through her grown son's window, and rocking the sleeping man in the same way. Then, inevitably, the day comes when she's too old and sick to hold him, and the roles are at last reversed. Each stage is illustrated by one of Sheila McGraw's comic and yet poignant pastels.

2 comments:

Jami Ainsworth said...

My mom fell in love with this story a long time ago and she often buys it for baby shower gifts too. I probably have it put it up somewhere. I am so emotional that to this day I can not read it w/o bawling. Just reading your take on it brings me to tears. So I avoid reading it because it gets to me so much, but I am so glad that I was reminded of this through your experience.

And Natalie, too, reminds us what a big girl that she is...that she is not a baby! That also brings me to tears. They grow up soooo fast.

albritton5 said...

i love that book...but we can't read it in our house anymore. michael has serious issues with a mom who would drive across town with a ladder on the roof to sing to her grown son after he's in bed. he says it's a lesson in dysfunction. i say it's a precious depiction of a mother's love. anyway...that's a precious story, and Jonah is getting so big!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails