Saturday, July 23, 2016

Jonah's 10th birthday party


Jonah's long awaited 10th birthday party was today.  We got up early and headed to the home of our friends who offered to host the party.  We were shocked to see this sweet sign waiting for us.  We had to pull over on the road to take a few pictures.  

We have a pool at our house but it really can't accommodate more than about 8 kids.  Beth and Randy have a much bigger pool and it's set off from their house so there is more space.  Our plans were to use the pool and rent a slide for the day.  We settled on a beach ball theme.  

See those cute little table tents?  I had lots of them and some signs and banners for the party.  I didn't start working on them until 10 pm last night.  That is the exact moment my printer stopped working.  And, in case you don't know, that isn't the prime time for HP tech support to jump on my issue.  I decided not to stress about it and just sighed and said "oh well!"  (I would have totally gone to Walmart at Midnight a few years ago!!  I've come so far!)



















Jonah really wanted to help with this party.  He took great pride in arranging the sugar cookies on the platter.  
If you follow me on Instagram, then you know I'm pretty bad at putting sunscreen on my kids.  I miss more spots than I cover.  Beth jumped in to coat them so I wouldn't do it.  :-)


The boys passed the time by Jonah playing basketball and Micah doing sidewalk chalk.  They were so anxious for guests to arrive.  


Beth and the boys took the inaugural run down the slide together.  



























Beth made her famous salad to go with the pizza.  She also cut up several watermelons.  Her salad was the talk of the adults.  It is one of my favorite things she serves because of the homemade dressing she uses.  


We were so fortunate to have some of our KidsMin volunteers from Stetson there to be extra eyes in the pool.  I can't say enough about how much these people love our kids and help them to be better people.  Just seeing all of them in the pool and playing with kids through out the day was such a blessing to my heart.  Hannah and Carlo are both on staff with Dan and took one for the team to be present with those kids and man posts near the water.  We're so grateful!




We had six fans blowing different directions to (try) to keep adults cool.  It was so hot today.  



Here are all the kids...my two included!  There were 34 kids there today.  In the past, it's been hard to have a party that includes church and school friends.  There isn't an easy way to trim down the church list without hurting feelings.  But, since this is Jonah's last birthday party AND since the pool and slide would accommodate as many kids as we wanted to invite, we went big this year.  He invited his school friends, neighborhood friends and church friends.  
We only had one cupcake this year and no cake.  The cupcake was just for the sole purpose of blowing out a candle.  






The reason we decided no cupcakes or cake was because we brought in the ultimate summer treat...The Kona Ice Truck!!!!  Jimmy & Cathy paid a portion of this as his gift to Jonah.  They knew this was something Jonah REALLY wanted for his party so they helped us make it happen.  In reality, having them come wasn't much more than ordering nice cupcakes or a cake.  

The other kids loved this idea too!  Well, except for one who doesn't like Kona Ice.  But, the rest were big fans and talked about how great it was.  












This kid especially loved the Kona Ice truck coming to the party.  He is a big fan of Kona Ice.  









































5th Grade boys!








Jonah with his Kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Myers.  Her daughter Riley has been in all of Jonah's classes except Kindergarten.  
Jonah with his 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. Leonard and her daughter Addison.  It's been fun to get to know these teachers more since we've gotten to know their kiddos.  



I'm grateful to be this kid's mommy!  (He still calls me that and I'm completely okay with it!!) 
After the party mess was cleaned up and the guests were gone, I changed into my suit and had some fun on the slide with the boys.  










Mr. Robert stuck around to help us clean up and played some basketball with Jonah.  

We decided not to open gifts at the party because of the heat.  There wasn't a place that all the people could be that was out of the sun.  It would have been hard to keep people cool.  So, we let kids keep cool on the slide and in the pool instead.  Jonah opened his gifts while we waited for the slide people to come get the slide.  




Micah sat in the car and handed Jonah the gifts.  (We had already loaded them because we thought the slide people were on their way!)  





His gift from Beth and Randy is NOT your typical 10 year old gift.  BUT, they know him SO well and know how much he loves showers at their house.  So, they bought him the exact shower head they have.  She said he comments about how much he loves that shower head every time he showers there.  He was so surprised by this but loved it.  





Micah also helped him open his cards.  (Still waiting for the slide people!)

It was a perfect day for our soon to be 10 year old.  As we were leaving, I said "Jonah, you got so many nice gifts.  I can't believe the fun stuff you got!"  He said "Well, I can't believe so many of my friends came.  That was really the best part!"  That's not a typical response from him but I'll take it.  We've tried out best to drill into him the value of people.  I think when he looked around today and saw so many people who love him and care for him, he got a small glimpse of that reality.  I hope it stays with him for a long time.  I know it will me!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails