Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Happy 10th Birthday, Jonah!

Dear Jonah,

You turn 10 years old today!  You've been excited for quite some time about turning double digits.  I seriously cannot believe it.  I hate to use all of the cliche statements about how quickly time moves or how the days are long and the years are short but they are so true.  It has gone fast.  And, it's true that I can hardly believe it.  Our ten years with you have been so fun!  You've brought immense joy to our hearts and lives.  It is almost more than I can take to know that you've been at home 10 years but when the next 10 years arrive, you'll already be half way done with college.  Our time left with you at home is short.  

I remember the first night you were home.  I could hardly sleep because I wanted to hold you.  The moment you would utter a sound, I would scoop you up.  I could hardly stand to be separated from you.  I slept in the living room so your crying wouldn't wake up our house guests.  I remember staring at every single detail of your tiny body and be so grateful to God that you're here and that you were safe.  I could hardly believe God had blessed us with the gift of you.   

Just recently, we watched some old home videos of you learning to walk.  We cheered, clapped and encouraged you as you took each bumbling step.  You squealed with delight as you fell into our arms.  Even when you were tired of trying, we would pick you up again, steady you on your feet and cheer for you as you took another step. 

We are long past of the days of helping you learn to walk.  Our days now encourage you to try a new sport, write a little neater, read a book series you think you won't enjoy, make a new friend, try a bigger roller coaster, study a little more and be just a little kinder.   I guess we will always be believing in you to do something more than you think you can do.  

These days, you love to read, ride bikes, swim, play board games, watch TV, go to church, build with Zoobs, ride (most) roller coasters, go to the beach, build Star Wars Legos, be involved in and do anything with your family.  I'm convinced your love language is Quality Time.  You would rather DO something with someone you love than anything else on this earth.  

You still say you want to be a science teacher when you grow up.  I wish I had a crystal ball that would show me where you actually end up.  I wish I could know for sure if you will teach a classroom full of students, take care of sick people, preach the Word of God, fight fires, manage a company, build buildings or fly an airplane.  I wish I could see the kind of husband you will be or know how many children will call you daddy.  But, all of that is still unclear.  What I do know is this...you're a great kid who is on track to be a great adult who will do whatever it takes to be good at the things God calls you to do.  

Just like the days of watching you take steps and cheering you on, we're doing the same today.  We're watching you take steps into many new experiences.  We're watching you navigate this world.  We're watching you learn to make friends and put yourself out there in ways that are so uncomfortable to you.  We're watching you get hurt but get back up and try again.  We're watching you, buddy.  But, more than that, we're cheering for you and believing in you.  You don't fall into our arms as much as you did back when you were learning to walk, but our arms are here.  They always will be.

Happy Birthday my sweet Jonah!  It's a gift to be your mommy.  I pray often that you will look back on our relationship with joy and happiness.  I want your memories of growing up to be good ones.  I want to be a place that you ALWAYS want to come back.  You're a great kid.  I'm serious...it's a joy to parent you.  I love you, buddy!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

What a beautiful post! Happy Birthday, Jonah! You are such a gift!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails