Monday, November 9, 2015

To Micah on your 5th birthday

Dear Micah,

How on earth did you turn five years old?

How are you big enough to do such big boy things?  How do you know and properly use words like epic, amazing, generally, traditionally and awkward?  Your handwriting isn't quite there but your vocabulary is off the charts.  You love school and right now you are pretty enamored with South America.  You love church and especially AWANA and Mission Friends.

Kiddo, you are such a bright spot in this world.  

Just lately, you've started to pout and get teary when things don't go your way.  So, I started telling you that 5 year olds don't cry.  You never questioned with me but I could tell you were processing it.  Then, just a few nights ago, as we were walking through a parking lot, you said "Daddy, I have a secret for you but you can't tell Mommy!"  Your dad told me later that you said "I might cry sometimes when I am 5 but only if I get hurt!"  Sweet thing.  You took me serious.  If you would only always believe everything I tell you.  But, if that were the case, I'd have to quit kidding with you so much.  

Some of your favorite things to do are read books, play board games, swim, play the iPad, sword fight, play Imaginext, play dough, color wonder, watch Jonah do homework on the computer and help make anything in the kitchen.  Honestly, I could add "anything with Jonah" to the list.  You adore that big brother of yours.  

I remember the shock and unbelief when I found out you were growing inside of me.  I thought our family was complete.  I thought life was as good as it could get.  I was so wrong.  You completed our family.  You brought another level of good to us.  You make life so fun.  Your joy is contagious.  Your laugh is infectious.  You love big.  You are a precious little boy who lights up my world.  Your giggles get us so tickled.  You are hilarious but you have no idea that you are.  That makes you even funnier.

Buddy, I've never loved you more.  You are a gift to our family.  I pray God will use your sensitive and grateful heart to bring some grace and mercy to this hurting world.  My journal is full of me asking God to help you with your speech /eating issues and for you to come to know Jesus at an early age.  Seriously, those things are mentioned hundreds of times.  

I'm glad you are finally turning 5 years old.  You've been waiting for this day for a long time.  You are convinced that your whole world is about to open up to you.  I hope that is the case.  I'll be right here cheering you on as you gain even more independence and love even bigger.  You're a great kid and I'm so glad I get to be your mommy.  It's one of the best jobs I've ever had!

I Love You!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails