Saturday, October 10, 2015

Early October catch up!

This has been the weekend of the babysitter.  Or, as my kids call them "People who want to come over to play with us!"  We went to bed last night laughing about our kids having so much fun with our sitters last night and then I woke up this morning to this memory from Timehop.



 I remember that night so well.  Jonah was literally stunned that we had to pay people to hang out with them.  It's obvious that he doesn't suffer from self esteem issues.  We're just really blessed to have people to love our boys and be willing to spend time with them when needed.  (That includes the paid and non-paid people!!)

We had our first conference with Jonah's teacher this year.  He's doing very well in 4th grade.  He's above where he should be right now but still being challenged and pushed.  She is very in tune with him and the things he needs to help him succeed.  She wants him to move to non-fiction books.  He's not thrilled with that idea because he "loves fiction so much" but after explaining her reasoning to him, the gets it and is willing.

He's also one of twenty five kids in 4th and 5th grade who get to participate in the Lego Robotics club and compete with them at the end of the year.  He is very excited about this which is not super typical for him.  He was also asked to be part of the Leadership club on campus.  I had to laugh because they sent an application home for him to fill out.  One of the questions was "Why do you want to be in the Leadership Club?"  He wrote something to the effect of "I didn't even know there was such a thing.   You gave me this piece of paper to fill out so I did!"  Nothing like honesty!

One other fun fact about Jonah before moving on to Micah is about this blog.  Because his classroom is a blended learning class, they use a ton of technology.  I'm in there each Wednesday and I'm blow away by what she does with iPads, Kindles and iPods.  It's amazing.  Anyway, because he has an iPad now, he gets some free electronics time after he is done with his daily checklist each day.  His favorite thing to do is to read the blog.  He has gone back to read about every birthday party and so many events of his life.  He loves it.  I'll tell you, that has brought me sheer joy.  I started this blog right after he was born in order to let his grandparents know him.  It ended up being a chronicle of his life.  Up until the last year or so, it was almost a daily chronicle.  I'm so happy I have it.  To see him look back on his 9 years of life and laugh at stories, watch videos, remember special events, well...it's been better than any scrapbook could have ever been.  It's a joy to see him re-live his life and enjoy it so much.

Micah is in the homestretch of being a 4 year old.  He is pretty convinced his entire world is going to open up for him once he turns 5.  Every single time I say no to something, he says "well, when I'm 5 can I..."  I made the decision last week to not do a birthday party for him but to take him and three of his friends out for a special birthday celebration.  

School has been really good for him this year.  He has made big strides in his personality and emotions.  He is happy to go to school every day.  He smiles and actually speaks when spoken to.  He doesn't hide behind us like he did.  And, on occasion, he will actually perform on command.  (And, by perform, I only mean doing what we ask him to do.  ie. quote a verse, sing as song, etc.)

He's a funny little guy who gives so many kisses and loves with his whole heart.  He is quick to give hugs, say thank you, grab your hand and smile and snuggle.  I can hardly imagine that he will be in Kindergarten next year.  It is mind boggling to me that he will be old enough and ready.  I'm not emotional about it like I was with Jonah.  I feel better prepared and know the good awaits him there.  It is more just looking at him and realizing that those same 5 year olds that hold those lunch boxes and walk across campus to the lunch room will be in 1st grade next year and my little Micah will be one of those tiny kids.  There are at least 14 kids we know who will be entering Kindergarten with him.  All but one are requesting the same teacher.  

August 15 started a new journey for both Dan and I.  It isn't something we've really advertised or talked about a ton.  But, on that day we changed our eating habits, gave up all soft drinks and coffee, started eating a lot of whole foods, started exercising, started eating breakfast, stopped making excuses and started to get healthy.  We are close to two months in and Dan has lost 23 pounds as of yesterday and I've lost 18.5.  He had to buy all new pants yesterday.  he's gone down a size in shirts.  Honestly, he needs new suits but we are waiting on those until he is done.  He has about 6-7 more pounds to lose to be at the point where he just wants to maintain.  I have further to go but I'm pretty motivated and actually enjoying the process.  It has been a fun change to look forward to exercise and try new healthy recipes.  Someone asked me yesterday why we hadn't told everyone we were doing it.  The truth is that we wanted the results to speak for themselves.  While weight loss is a huge motivation, getting healthy, having more energy, feeling better and putting good food into our body has been the real win.  It's a total lifestyle change for us.  It hasn't been easy but it has already been worth it.  

Ok, I need to get my little reader to bed.  It is 10:10 p.m. and he got to stay up late to finish his 14th Sunshine State Reader.  He will start #15 tomorrow and probably finish it Monday.  Then he will be done.  He will be the first in the school to read all 15.  He did that last year and wanted to accomplish that again.  That was a good goal for him.  I'm glad to see him achieve it.  (Jonah, since you are reading this, GREAT JOB!!!  You rock!)



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails