Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Presidents Hall of Fame

Jonah has been part of a Sunshine State Reader Book Club this summer.  The idea was to pick a book to read and come together after half of the book in order to discuss it and then meet again after finishing the book to take a field trip together regarding the book.  The first book they focused on was Capture The Flag by Kate Messner.  Since it was a patriotic book, we took a trip over to Clermont to The Presidents Hall of Fame.  Before I go any further, I'll say that if I chose to visit this place solely based on their website or outdoor appearance, I would have never walked inside.  Both need a lot of work.  But, there is quite a gem inside those doors and I'm so glad we had the opportunity to go. 



As you can see, there are several replicas outside but the limo below is an actual limo used during Jimmy Carter's administration.  Oh, and I will also tell you that the replicas (Lady Liberty, Mount Rushmore, Lincoln Memorial) were actually in good shape.  It was the exterior/landscaping/parking lot that needed work. 








The first thing we saw when we walked in was the guestbook.  The vertical sheet behind glass are the signatures of all the important people (many US Presidents!!) who have visited this place. 

The very first thing we saw was an actual ballot box from the infamous 2000 Bush/Gore election!!!  Can we say "hanging chad!?"
Look at Micah's hand on his hip.  He was totally engaged.  I almost didn't go because of having to take Micah but I'm so glad I did.  He was great.  I know he doesn't understand what history is, but he enjoyed himself and was great today!





They had a big display case of actual campaign memorabilia. 



















The replica of The White House is said to be accurate.  It was so neat to see in there.  Obama's living quarters actually had family photos on the wall!













Before we left, one other important person signed their guest book. 
It was a really fun experience for all of us.  It was totally worth the 75 minute drive.  It sparked a lot of discussion with my history loving kiddo!  And, it was a great day with my little fellas!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails