Tuesday, April 8, 2014

What is important?


Going back to school after Spring Break makes me feel like school is almost over for the year.  I spent all of last week feeling like we were in the home stretch.  Then, just last night, Dan reminded me that we have two months left.  TWO WHOLE MONTHS!  I tried to process that information while I made lunches for today but it was just too much to take in at once.  I'm still dwelling on it this morning.  I guess I should not have been surprised because Jonah got his 3rd report card yesterday so that means we still have 1/4 of the way to go.  :-(

He did very well on his report card.  So far this year, he has had all A's.  It's interesting to me that he has no concept of grades.  I remember the first term when I told him that he had all A's, he was disappointed.  He wanted "some of the other letters too!"  I'm sure he will one day be super proud of his academic accomplishments.  So far, science is still his favorite part of school and anything that involves handwriting is his least favorite.  



Because Micah has a late birthday, he still has some time before he starts Kindergarten.  When I was counting the years out, I realized that he would be in Kindergarten when Jonah is in 5th grade.  So, they will only have that one year together at the same school.  My mind can not even comprehend Jonah as a 5th grader.  I totally see Micah as a Kindergarten student though.  He will be so ready.  His vocabulary is crazy already.  Kids learn so many big words at such early ages now.  I think his vocabulary is more advanced than Jonah's was at this age.  I think that is due to the "Endless Alphabet" app on the iPad.  Because, I rarely use the words "stupendous" or "gregarious" but he does.  (And in the right context!!!)

In just 5 weeks, Dan and I will celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary.  15 years is a big deal to me.  I keep thinking about that number and I'm so grateful to God for the marriage He has given us.  We are two very imperfect people who are madly in love with the other.  It has been a really good 15 years.  We are planning a getaway and are super excited about some time together.  As I was typing this, I realized that from December to May have been banner months for Dan.  He graduated with his Doctorate, turned 40 and will celebrate 15 years of marriage.  That's big!

The last few months have been crazy busy for us.  Which, in turn, has made me think a lot about busyness.  I remember a Sunday School discussion a few months ago where various people talked about how busy they were and they couldn't make time for ________ or _________.  My friend said "I don't buy that.  You make time for what is important to you!"  It certainly ruffled some feathers because they saw it as judgmental. But, I know that isn't what she meant.  She didn't say that out of judgement for them.  She said it as accountability for herself.  The judgmental feelings came because it is something we all struggle with.   The truth is that we all have the same amount of hours in our day.  We choose the things or people that are important to us.  Life happens and things get in the way but if something or someone is important, we make time.  And, relationships suffer when you realize that you aren't a priority for someone or when they realize they aren't your priority. 

Because of that, I've had to let some things go.  Just last night, I pulled the plug on something that was going to take a good bit of my time this week.  It was something that I wanted to do and actually even needed to do.  But, Dan's schedule has him out of the house a lot this week.  My people need me more than this needed me.  I try to use the time in my car to make phone calls and appointments.  I respond to emails while I'm in the school pick-up line.  I keep telling myself "People Matter- prove it to them!"  So, I'm really working on that.  


In the meantime, I'm spending some fun times with these two boys.  Jonah has had more play dates in the last two weeks than this whole semester.  Micah has ridden his scooter and bike more than ever.  I'm catching up with old friends.  (Hope, return your voice mails please.  Ahem...)  I'm trying new recipes.  I'm just remembering that if it is important to me then I will make time for it. 









No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails