Thursday, March 13, 2014

What I'm Reading

I've linked up with Kelly's Korner to tell you about what I'm reading these days.  I don't know if you are anything like me, but I usually have several books going at once.  I have one next to my bed.  I have one in my car.  I have one on my Kindle.  I have one next to my chair in the living room.  Basically, I have books (or access to a book on my Kindle/Phone/iPad) everywhere.  These are the ones I'm really into right now. 


Intentional Parenting
I actually won this book in a Twitter giveaway.  It has been instrumental in some of the specific changes we have made in our home this past year.  I rank it as one of my top parenting books that I've read.  (and, trust me...I've read a lot of them!)  It is written by family therapists and their advice is so good and practical that I've wanted to fly to Nashville just to sit down with them for a few sessions.  Not kidding.  
 
 This book was actually recommended to us by a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist here in DeLand.  I read it first and kept talking about points in the book so much that Dan read it.  I can't tell you how much it has helped us with Jonah.  
If you have been to my blog much at all, then you have heard me talk about Tricia Lott Williford's blog.  I was captivated from the moment I read the first entry.  Her husband died suddenly on December 23 (can't remember the year- maybe 2010?) and left behind a wife and 2 small boys.  Her blog has brought me to tears more times than I can count.  Her book is mostly stories I had already read on the blog but they are still so beautifully written.  I would recommend this book to anyone dealing with grief.  
 Ahh...life in ministry.  This is a fun book about being a Pastor's wife and still be relevant in the world we are called to reach.  It is a practical book but it has been super helpful to me on this journey of life in a fishbowl.  
And, this one...oh, this one.  NO BOOK has ever evoked the emotions in me that this one has.  I SOBBED one night to the point that my body ached.  If you can't handle a cry, then don't read this.  The story is about two families who experienced loss and ended up falling in love.  The love story is beautiful but you have to make it through the awful deaths of two spouses to get to the beauty.  I bought this on a Kindle deal one day and tried to loan it to my friend Amanda but it is one Kindle book that can't be loaned for some reason.  

So, what are you reading?  I leave for vacation in 10 days and I want some good fiction to read.  Not Hunger Games style fiction but clean love story style fiction.  I want something that is hard to put down.  Any ideas?

1 comment:

Christi Wall said...

Have you read the "When Calls the Heart" series by Janette Oake? Beautiful love story about a teacher in the 1800's and a Canadian Mountie! Hallmark channel has turned it into a series on Saturday nights.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails