Sunday, March 30, 2014

Back at it...

It is almost 8:00 a.m. on Sunday.  Dan is already gone.  The rest of us are dressed and fed.  We are just waiting until 8:30 a.m. so we can leave for church.  Jonah is in a grumpy mood.  That makes me super excited about getting him up and out the door tomorrow morning when school starts back.  That poor kiddo developed a love for sleeping in over this break.  He gets is naturally, though.  His parents do love some sleep.  He starts testing tomorrow so I will make sure he gets to bed early tonight so he will be ready.  

Speaking of sleep, I'm testing a new app called Sleep Cycle.  I've heard a lot of friends talk about it.  I was a bit of a skeptic but finally decided to try it.  I only have 2 nights under my belt.  So far, I've discovered that I'm a terrible sleeper.  I sleep all night long but I rarely go into deep sleep.  (It monitors all of that for you.  You don't get official reports until 5 nights of sleep.  I'll be curious to see what the readings are.  Oh, and when you set your alarm for a certain time, it monitors you over 30 minutes prior to that so it wakes you when you are in your lightest sleep mode.  For instance, this morning, my alarm was set for 6:05.  It actually woke me at 5:49 a.m.  Very interesting.


Yesterday at Sam's, I stocked up on lots of fresh veggies and produce.  I bought 4 pounds of asparagus.  Jonah has decided he loves it.  And, by loves it, I mean he asks for it at every meal.  Between that and the roasted brussel sprouts that he loves, we have plenty of green veggies to get us through the next week.  

I don't know if I have mentioned on here about my Easter confusion.  I never looked at the calendar this year but just assumed Easter was in early March.  I decorated my house the day after Valentine's Day.  The boys both had clothes bought in early February.  Most every Sunday one of them will say "Is today Easter?"  I even had to try their Easter outfits on them yesterday to be sure they still fit.  Yeah, I was that early.  It is actually a little comical now!

I read a really good blog post about mean kids last night.  I shared it on Facebook.  It truly penetrated my heart.  If you ask Jonah if anyone is mean to him, he is appalled at the question.  He can't believe anyone would ever be mean to him or make fun of him.  (or anyone else for that matter!)  In my little world, I'd like to believe that he has been totally protected from that over his 7.5 years.  But, honestly, in the world we live in, I doubt that is really true.  I guess he has just never internalized it.  (Which, I'm super grateful for!!!)  If you have kids, are a mean person, have mean kids, love kids or have a kid who gets picked on, this post is for you.  



This was my favorite paragraph:

Then I leaned across the kitchen counter, looked him in the eyes and said, “If you hear anything I say today, hear this, Elijah. It’s the most important thing I’m telling you: Don’t EVER be the Mean Kid. Ever. And when you see another kid getting picked on, for the love of all that is right and good, go rescue that kid. Go put your arm on that kid’s shoulder and tell him you are on his side. Then go up to the Mean Kid and say, “Stop it.”

Ok, it is 8:27.  Time for us to leave for church.  I'll be back later with pics from our vacation and updates on our boys.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails