Friday, March 1, 2013

A sick little girl!

I left my house early this morning to drive to Jacksonville to see a friend and her baby girl.  Typically, this is something Dan would do but I just felt a tugging to go myself.  He prayed with the family over the phone but I got to make the visit.  I'm so glad I did.  The mom was weary.  She had not eaten today.  Her sweet baby hasn't had a bite to eat in over 7 days due to a hematoma in her intestines.  So, my friend can't eat in front of her.  She holds her most of the day.  Which means she doesn't get to eat.  So, I offered to take her and let her go eat.  I wasn't sure she would come to me.  We all know that when a baby is sick, all they want is their mama!  But, I pulled a mommy trick out of the bag and pulled out my Elmo Calls App on my phone.  She came right to me.  I'd like to think it was because she knew she could trust me but I think the sweet baby was just too tired to fight. 
So, we rocked and talked to Elmo on Facetime.  As we rocked, I prayed for her.  I fought back tears.  She turns 2 in April and has spent more time in hospitals than most anyone I know.  It started with a previously undetected heart issue on the day she was born.  Since then, she has been in and out of hospitals.  One of those visits included a heart surgery. She's a tough one!

But, so is her momma!  She has 4 year old twin boys at home.  She misses them terribly.  But, she knows she is where she needs to be.  She has barely slept this week.  She is exhausted.  She is worried.  She is lonely.  She misses her husband, her kids, her parents and her friends.  But, she is doing what a good mom does.  She is taking care of the one who needs her most.  

After Rachel scarfed down the few bites of food she had, she rushed back to check on her baby.  She was fine.  She even laughed a few times at Elmo.  That silly Elmo...he always knows how to make a little one feel better.  She didn't make a move towards her mom so I told Rachel to take a shower while I was there to hold her.  Rachel took me up on that offer because she didn't "know if she would have another chance."  So, we rocked more.  I prayed more.  I watched a tube carry yucky bile out of her belly.  I watched her heart rate on the monitor.  I wondered why I thought my week had been so terrible after all. 

Tonight, I'm home in my bed.  My boys are tucked in and sleeping soundly in theirs.  We are all under one roof.  We are healthy.  We are together.  

When you read this, pray for my friend.  I'm asking God for true rest for her tonight.  She is so tired.  She needs to be strong for her baby girl.  It is hard with no sleep.  I'm asking God to heal that sweet baby and to sustain her momma!  He can do both of those, ya know?  Join me in asking Him, okay?

3 comments:

Barb said...

What a precious baby girl! I will be praying for her and her mama.

Penny said...

Believe me, I KNOW how much your visit meant to that momma. When Shelbi was hospitalized with ITP at fifteen months, low platelet count, I was with her 24/7. Thank God, I was near family, but still had to have someone with her to take a shower. And Shelbi could eat with me. But i missed my other two girls at home. Shelbi was hospitalized many times over the next two years and then it was controlled with steroids off and on for several more years. After the first two bouts, Dr. Timm sent us to university medical center (children's cancer center) for a bone marrow biopsy to rule out leukemia. Seeing all those babies taking their chemo treatments with worried parents beside them changed.my.life. When people questioned how we could handle what Shelbi was going through, i replied, "I seen what she COULD be going through." Our child was considered chronically ill, but it was nowhere as bad as watching one battle cancer. My faith grew tremendously through those experiences. I pray God draws your friend closer during this time. And heals her baby!

Anonymous said...

This story was very sad and it made me sick to my stomach. And I also got a lot if tears in my eyes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails