Thursday, February 9, 2012

Dan's 38th birthday

I picked Jonah up from school and went straight to JoAnn's for a few craft supplies and then to the mall. We had about three hours to get some things ready for Dan's arrival.  We wanted to do something special for his birthday but I didn't do so good on the 'planning ahead' thing.  Him being out of town the first part of the week put me a little behind.  So, we were in speed mode this afternoon.


I grabbed my hot glue gun, puzzle pieces and blank canvas and got started in the kitchen while Jonah entertained Micah.  Once the hot glue work was done, Jonah and Micah came in to get involved.  I painted Jonah's hand and Micah's foot.  I wanted to do both of their hands but I knew I could never do Micah's alone without someone here to help me.  


I meant to look on Pinterest before leaving the house but I forgot so I had to come up with something on my own.  I bought an 11x14 canvas, an acrylic photo frame, puzzle pieces, paint brushes and a paint pen.  I glued the puzzle pieces around the edges of the canvas.  Then, I glued the acrylic 4x6 frame in the lower left corner.  I only had one picture of the boys but it was 7 months old.  I used it anyway with plans to replace it in the next few days.  
Painting Jonah's hand and placing it on the canvas was easy.  Painting Micah's foot and placing it on the canvas was NOT easy.  As a matter of fact, there is still blue paint on the wooden high chair.  As if the stress of that moment wasn't enough, I was letting Jonah use my new Nikon while standing on the tile floor.  Eeeks!  But, I knew I'd want some photos of this experience so I trusted him and went with it.  (but I was still sweating it!!)










I gave Micah a Baby Mum Mum to eat while Jonah wrote in Dan's card.  That kept him entertained for about 16 seconds.  I used that time to clean some of the paint.  








Dan was scheduled to be home from work around 5:30 p.m. so we rushed to get the table ready for him. We gave him the canvas (you'll see a close up pic later in this post), a framed Bulldog pic of the boys, a cookie cake, Hot Tamales, a whoopie cushion (yes, Jonah thought that would be the greatest gift ever!!) and a recordable Hallmark book.  














He called to say he was turning into the neighborhood so Jonah ran out to meet him.  He was so excited to show him everything but especially to see how that Whoopie Cushion worked.  (Oh to be 5!)








Why yes, he is holding a camel with a MSU hat!  The kids at the school gave him this today.  Long story.  But, speaking of the kids, he got the SWEETEST cards and letters from many of the students and teachers at Stetson Baptist Christian School.  Maybe I'll do a separate post on some of them.  Seriously, so sweet and kind.  I think they meant more to him that most any thing he has ever received.  Some were so sweet and personal.  


Anyway, Jonah made him close his eyes and then led him into the kitchen and showed him every single thing.  Then, he showed him the recordable Hallmark book and told him what he said on each page before he let him punch the button.  So much for the surprise!




Look at Jonah's face.  This was the exact reaction the first time Dan inflated the whoopie cushion!  He thought it was hilarious!






"To DaD frum JoNah love Jonah  Haappy birthday"








Sometimes it is hard to plan something exciting or super special when there is nothing he really wants.  But, we couldn't let the day go by without letting him know how much we love him and how amazing we think he is.  Happy Birthday, babe!  

1 comment:

Christy Bullock said...

Those are perfect presents for a Daddy who loves his little boys, especially to see the excitement in those little boys' faces!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails