Monday, January 16, 2012

My "Happily Ever After!"

On this day back in 1998, I walked into East McComb Baptist Church and met my husband.  That wasn't my plan that day.  Actually, walking through those doors, I had a rotten attitude.  I was only there because my best friend guilted me into it.  They were short one girls leader and in desperate need.  That would have been my third week in a row to lead a group if I did go.  And, I had five or six more scheduled over the next couple of months.  (Can we say DNow Overload???)  She knew that I could step right in with no prep and be fine.  So, she chipped away at me until I agreed.  While I loved leading DNow groups and being part of those weekends, my heart was just in a rough place.  

I walked into that church and immediately met Dan.  I could give you so many details about that weekend but none are important.  (to you, anyway!)  All that matters is that God crossed our paths that cold day in January of 1998.  During the concert on Friday night, Hope leaned over and said "He's gonna be your husband!"  Ummm...we just met 3 hours ago!!!  (She ended up being my Maid of Honor.  I figured I owed it to her since she forecasted our love!)  The next night, when the event was over, Hope and Stephen invited us to go eat with them.  I called my mom to tell her I would be late getting back to Jackson.  My exact words were "I'm going to dinner with my future husband so I will be late getting home!"  I was actually kidding!  But, she loves to tell people that I called it on night 2!

We stopped for dinner at The Golden Corral (nothing says romance quite like the Golden Corral) in McComb before we all went our separate ways.  I don't remember what I ate that night but I do remember Dan being to my right at the little square table.  I touched his leg once during the meal.  You know, in a "trying to make a point" kind of way.  He later told me that is how he knew I was into him.  Except, I wasn't?  I was still into the guy who was the reason for my rotten mood.  As the meal went on, I knew I wanted to be his friend.  So, I wasn't the least bit upset when he walked me to my car.

I let him borrow some tapes I had.  (Yes, it was 1998.)    Since I gave him those tapes, he had to have my number to call so we could figure out a way to meet up sometime in order for me to get them back.  We lived 90 miles from each other but I lived fairly close to his mom so he knew he would be in my town in the next couple of weeks.  We said our goodbyes and my heart fluttered.

The next morning, I could hardly wait to get to church to talk to my friend Melanie about him.  I was a tad bit smitten.  Then, the next day, a huge boquet of flowers arrived at my work.  They were from him.  Then, he called.  The same night, I officially ended the long term relationship I had been in.  There was no looking back.  We have been "us" ever since.  We never did the on again/off again dating.  Once we were on, we stayed on!  We got engaged less than 8 months later.  Then, we got married 8 months after that.

Our meeting truly was orchestrated by God.  Our relationship has been nothing short of incredible.  (Well, for me at least.  You may need to talk to him for a second opinion!!)  The last 14 years have brought unspeakable joy to me.  I woke up this morning with a sense of excitement.  Not because we had some big exciting and romantic day planned but because I get another day with him.  I truly feel like the luckiest girl in the world.

And, just because you may have the feeling that life is just too good for us, let me give you a little peek into our day.  Several weeks ago, I decided to take the boys to Animal Kingdom since Jonah was out of school today.  I mentioned it to Aja last week and she said she wanted to go take her boys too.  Then, her husband realized he was off work and convinced Dan to take a day of vacation and go with us too.  So, at 7:45 this morning, we were loading vans and swapping bags of McDonalds.

Dan and Dave rode together with the big boys, Jonah and Holder.  Aja and I took the little boys, Micah and Miller.  We all feasted on some yummy McDonalds (or Old McDonalds as Jonah calls it) on the drive down.  Our goal was to be in the park by 9:00 a.m. when it opened.  As we pulled off of I-4 and onto Disney property, I glanced at the clock and thought "Man, we made great time!"  I was actually very proud of us for getting moving so early and at our destination before we planned to be.  Then, my phone rang with Dan's special ringtone.

When I answered the phone, he informed me that Jonah just threw up all over himself.  We quickly tried to find a place to pull over but had to drive a little ways to find a safe place to stop.  I jumped out of Aja's van and got to Jonah as quickly as I could.  He was covered in yuckiness.  His car seat was covered.  It was bad.  

We got him cleaned up as best as we could and then drove a few miles down the road to Target.  I ran in to buy him new clothes while Dan disassembled Jonah's car seat and bagged all of his nasty clothes.  Fortunately, I had an extra booster in the car that he could ride in because his was beyond use!  We wanted to just leave them at the park and us head home.  But, he insisted that he felt good so we went inside.  He was right.  He didn't have anymore issues.  I guess something was just bothering his tummy and he couldn't hold it in.  

We stayed at the park until early afternoon then headed towards home.  Dan and Jonah had Upward Basketball practice tonight so we needed to be home in time for them to change clothes and head out the door.  After they left, I fed Micah his dinner then put him in the tub.  After just a few minutes, I realized he was attempting to do a little business.  I jerked him from the tub and put him on the potty.  Except, he fell through the hole and got stuck in the potty.  Just gets better.

I finally got the tub clean and put him back in to finish his bath.  I let him play and splash as much as he wanted.  Then, after 15 minutes or so of playing, I noticed "the look" again.  Then, I saw things floating again.  I grabbed him from the tub and put him in the bathroom sink to finish bathing him.  I took him to his room, lotioned him up and gave him some books in his bed while I cleaned the bathroom.  

I grabbed each toy, cleaned it and then put it away.  I took a step towards the back of the tub so I could reach the next to last toy.  But, when I took a step, I slipped on the wet floor and fell into the tub.  I lost control of the sprayer and it flung against the wall then sprayed the rest of the bathroom before I could get it.  

I. WAS. SOAKED.  But, all I could do was laugh.  Minus Micah, I was home alone and I sat in the floor just giggling.  Seriously, 14 years ago, at that exact time, I was meeting the man who would one day get down on one knee and ask me to be his wife.  And, on this night, he was at the church coaching little 5 & 6 year old boys in basketball while I was getting a 14 month old ready for bed and creating quite a mess.  All I could do was smile.  Because, even on a day like today that started with puke in the car and ended with poop in the tub, I reminded that this is MY life and I absolutely love it.  


Laura said...

Love this!!!!!!!

Debra said...

Only you could start with such a romantic story and end with bodily functions. Thanks for making me laugh out loud. Oh, how I needed that. Miss you guys!

4 J's said...

I absolutely love this story! I pray one day we live close so that I can live life with you and your precious family! This time I will make a point to see you if we ever live close again! :)

Penny said...

LOL Love Debra's comment. ;)


Related Posts with Thumbnails