Friday, December 23, 2011

Happy Birthday, Aja!

I don't normally do birthday posts (except for Dan, Jonah & Micah) for fear of leaving out someone important to us.  But, I'm breaking the rules today.  And, I can do that since it is my blog, right?  Today, I get to share my birthday with my dear friend, Aja!  You can find her blog here.


Aja is one of the first people who emailed us from Stetson when Dan's name was announced as the candidate for Pastor.  They gave out a brochure that morning with our blog address and email address and she emailed that afternoon to introduce herself.


While we did meet as soon as we got here, we didn't really become friends until a year later.  We knew each other, were in the same circles and attended a lot of events together but weren't really close.  Then somewhere along the way, we got pregnant at the same time.  (She was 7 weeks ahead of me!)  We were both sick.  We both had little boys and were expecting another.  We had many things in common.  Then, one morning she invited me over for a play date.  I remember a very distinct conversation in her kitchen, standing next to her island while pouring a cup of coffee that made me realize she was someone I WANTED to be close friends with.  She was real and honest.  She was outspoken.  She loves her family but most of all she loves Jesus.


And now, I'm one of the lucky ones who get to be her friend.  While we have many similarities in our lives, we are about as polar opposite as two people can be.  But, it works so well!  She challenges me to be a better mom.  Her faith is real and authentic.  She is who she says she is.  She doesn't pretend.  In a world full of fake, I'm glad that she doesn't hide the person she really is.  And, most of all, I'm glad she is my friend.  


Happy Birthday, Aja!  I'm blessed for knowing you!  And, I'm glad we get to share our birthday!!

2 comments:

Aja said...

Good thing I haven't put makeup on, because my eyes are tearing! Thanks for your sweet words. I knew we'd be friends as soon as I saw your family's picture that Sunday morning. We hadn't been back at SBC for long at all, and the pieces all seemed to be falling into place that summer. I'm so glad we became friends. You are special to me, birthday buddy! :)

Penny said...

This is such a sweet post! You're very blessed to find such wonderful friends wherever Dan's ministry (and yours) takes your family. Happy Birthday (to Aja, too) and Merry Christmas! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails