Saturday, October 22, 2011

The wisdom of a five year old

Today, Jonah and I passed the Optical Center at Target.  He said "Look at all of those glasses!"  My mind immediately went back to the day that we visited that very center with a little boy distraught over the idea of having to wear glasses.  The memories of that day are still very vivid in my mind.  


Over a year has passed since that time and that same little boy is more than okay with wearing glasses.  But, I did remind him about how awful that day was and how he cried and cried about wearing glasses.  He, of course, has no memory of that.  We got almost to our car when Jonah said "I wish I had known how much my glasses would help me see better back then because I wouldn't have been sad.  I would have been happy instead!  That bad thing really wasn't bad at all.  It was good for me!"  


What wisdom in those words.  He absolutely meant that only about the glasses but I saw many stages of life in that statement.  How many things/circumstances/situations have devastated me at the time but now that I look back, I see the good in it?  How many things have hurt me but ultimately been for my good?  


Tonight, I'm thankful that God spoke to me in the Target parking lot through a little five year old boy with poor vision.  

1 comment:

Penny said...

Very wise indeed! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails