Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My morning

My morning routine has changed. I get Dan and Jonah out the door just in time to feed Micah and play with him until 9:00 a.m. That is the time of his first nap. He usually sleeps anywhere from 2-4 hours. (We are following the 9 & 1 nap schedule with him and seems to work great.) After he is down, I grab the monitor and head to the kitchen table. It usually looks something like this.

I'm on Day 76 of 90 Days with David. I highly recommend this study if you have never done it. It isn't a typical Beth Moore study because it can be done in as little as 10 minutes per day or much longer if you want to study, research and dwell a little longer. I bought this one after I was given Jesus: 90 Days With The One and Only at the Beth Moore for Minister's Wives in March of 2009. I loved that one so I had to get the one on David. It has been good and just what I needed for this season of my life.

I'm also reading the devotional called Out of the Spin Cycle by Jen Hatmaker. I won this as a door prize at MOPS a few weeks ago and L-O-V-E it! It has very short devotions about motherhood with a challenging question at the end and then something to think about or do. I LOVE her sense of humor and end every devotion laughing and challenged. One must have a gift to do that for her readers! This book will be one of my new gifts to friends with children. It is such an easy read all the while provoking deep thoughts and making me laugh.

Last week, I started working through the book of Psalms. I decided to go through that great book of the Bible and write down every thing it says that God is or that God will do. WOW! That is taking quite some time. I'm starting Psalms 19 today. I know I could do an Internet search and quickly pull up all the attributes of God, but I decided to find them myself this time. In the process, I've found lots of other interesting things and one whole chapter that spoke EXACTLY to a situation our family was in the midst of last Tuesday. I had to stop and email a few people who were walking that journey with us just to share about those verses. They too were amazed at how God speaks at just the right time.

I've started journaling again too! Although, this time, I'm doing it very different than I ever have in the past. I used to just use my journal as sort of an ongoing prayer that sometimes ended up being very 'diary' like. (I accidentally mixed up letters there and said dairy like! HA! That would have been confusing!) Anyway, my journal is now filled with prayers, responses to my devotional questions, concerns, every attribute of God as I work my way through the book of Psalms and thoughts to ponder. I've enjoyed this change and feel some freedom to write anything that comes to mind versus the structured journals I've had in the past.

These books don't include the 10 or so that are stacked beside my bed that I'm reading snippets of throughout the day. I'm gaining tons from 10 Things Every Minister's Wife Needs To Know and I just finished Truett Cathy's It's Better to Build Boys Than Mend Men. That was given to us by a sweet friend at Christmas and spoke volumes to us as we walk this season of life. Between raising two boys and Dan looking back on his childhood, the book could have not come at a better time.

All of this to say, what are you reading? What would you share with me that you are gaining lots of information and wisdom from? What is God teaching you? What is your "God-time" routine? I don't call it quiet time because that totally negates what sometimes happens in my house when I attempt to sit down and get serious. (for instance, Micah is currently wheezing from being sick and that is all I hear over the monitor. Oh, and Max likes to bark every 12 seconds or so!!!!)

3 comments:

Ethan said...

I'm loving "The Pursuit of God" by A.W. Tozer. Very convicting and challenging. I'm also reading through Isaiah and Jeremiah and am in awe of God's mercy and justice. Will definitely look into your book recommendations.
-Lauren Horton

Megan Powell said...

Seven Attribute sof a Godly Wife and Mother. Fantastic.

Leslie said...

Great to find your blog...I'm also a pastor's wife and stay-at-home mommy of two (girls)...
I am currently reading Forgotten God by Francis Chan. Just finished A.W. Tozer's The Knowledge of the Holy.
Thanks for the encouraging words.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails