Thursday, January 13, 2011

Meeting Ms. Channell

When I was in college, I lived in Mary Nelson dorm from my junior year through my second senior year. Mary Nelson 112 was my home for those 4 years and I loved it. I came to love the sweet Dorm Mother who lived there also, Ms. Channell. She was so very sweet to me and I grew to love her so much. When I left MC in 1997, I lost touch with her.

Earlier this year, I was doing something around the house when Ms. Channell came to mind. I remembered she was from Florida. I knew she lived in a town called Inverness and that her sons owned a restaurant called Stumpknockers. (How on earth did I remember that??) I looked online and found that restaurant. It had a webpage with a contact number and email address. So, I emailed them and asked about her. Much to my surprise, I awoke the next morning to find an email from my long lost friend.

She was back in Florida and lives less than 90 miles from me. We worked to find a time to visit but I soon discovered I was pregnant and became so sick. Then, as I started to feel a little better, she was diagnosed with cancer and had to have surgery. Then came Micah and the holidays so our visit was delayed again. Once the New Year arrived, I contacted her and asked about visiting on the 5th of January. I had hoped to take Dan and Jonah but if I waited for a time that would work for them too, it would be another month. So, Micah and I loaded up for his first road trip and headed to see my friend.
We met at her son's restaurant, Stumpknockers, which I LOVED. We had a wonderful meal together and I got to meet several of her friends who happened to be there eating also. I also got to meet one of her sons who I heard many stories about over my time in her dorm. And Micah got to taste his first real food...key lime pie! (I'm so a second time mom because that barely stressed me out at all!) ;-)

We hung out there for a while then I got a little tour of their town. We ended up back at her house which sits on a beautiful lake with an amazing view. Jonah will love it there. I can't wait to take him back to meet her and see all the things at her house.

Micah did great on his first road trip. We listened to a Louie Giglio podcast all the way there and back. He seems to like him as much as I do! So far, he has heard a few of Andy Stanley's podcasts and a few of Louie's. His daddy has big shoes to fill when he preaches now!
It was a great day to see an old friend and introduce her to my baby boy. I loved meeting her family and seeing where she lives. Her husband was a pastor so we shared many stories about life as a pastor's wife. It was a good and refreshing visit for my heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post! I love that you love elderly people and don't forget them! I saw that love in action this past summer...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails