Sunday, December 5, 2010

Introducing "my baby brother"

Micah's birth was timed perfectly to match the amount of vacation time Dan had with the days leading up to Thanksgiving. So, his plan was to be off until the Monday after the Thanksgiving Holiday. He was not going to preach on Wednesday nights but would continue to preach on Sundays. He also planned all meetings on Sunday so he was gone on one day rather than all through the week. That was a perfect plan until our Church Administrator had to have surgery and could not preach on those Wednesday nights. Then, on the last week of his time off, there were two funerals for him to preach. So, he ended up going back to work the week of Thanksgiving rather than after. That is when loving your job comes in handy because he didn't even mind.

I was okay with it too because the newborn stage is so easy for me. I LOVE those early days home with a baby and minus the pregnancy part, could have baby after baby. But, a problem presented itself on the day of the first funeral because that meant I had to get Jonah from school. It was my first official day to be able to drive after Micah's birth but even more, I hated taking him into Jonah's school because of all the germs. I quickly had to get over that and realize that this is our life and he is going to be exposed to germs no matter how hard I try solely based on having a 4 year old brother. I kissed him goodbye that morning and told him we would see him in a little while.
When I got to school to pick him up, there was a field trip form due that we had not filled out. I set Micah on the floor and turned to fill out the form. I heard Jonah yell "Everybody, come meet my baby brother! He is so cute and he is mine!" Before I could shield Micah from the many 4 year old germs, kids were everywhere. Rather than getting stressed, I just relished the moment of seeing Jonah so proud to introduce HIS baby to his friends.



If someone didn't come over, he would yell their name and say "Aren't you gonna come see him?" It was really sweet. And, would you believe that two weeks have passed and Micah lived??? Apparently those germs won't kill him after all!

5 comments:

Aja said...

LOL- I felt the same way about all the germs and I cried and cried when Miller got sick at 10 days old. But he lived too! I guess that's the life of the second child...

Mitch & Brandy Ramos said...

You know me, I would have died if Mia did that! Love that you are so much more zen than I am about germs!

Penny said...

Actually, it's good for them to be exposed to 'some' germs. I know it's hard, though, not to worry when they're so small and it's cold/flu season. So sweet that Jonah was so proud of him. He has adjusted so well to 'sharing you and Dan.' :)

Barb said...

How sweet that Jonah was so excited to share his baby with his friends!

Nina said...

35 years ago, I was under the impression from our pediatrician, that newborns were immune to germs, especially if they were breast-fed. But your friend said her baby was sick at 10 days. Maybe that no longer is the theory.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails