Monday, November 1, 2010


On October 20th, we got up early that morning and headed to the surgery center to have the tube in Jonah's right ear removed. It was placed when he was just 9 months old and had begun causing him several issues. Since we experienced the tubes at 9 months old, we weren't afraid this time or even really worried. We felt we knew what to expect and could be positive for Jonah. He was in a great mood and relished all the attention everyone there gave him.

He was super impressed with all the medical stuff and drove the nurses crazy with questions. I'm pretty sure they explained every piece of equipment in that room to him. The more they answered, the more he asked. He made sure to tell every person there that he was there for "sershery!"
They came in to give him some Versed and it was only minutes before his entire disposition changed. He kept saying his breath tasted sour. He looks sad in the picture below but he wasn't. He was confused. He kept trying to figure out why he felt different and why his breath was sour?

Then, he acted drunk. Actually, to be more specific, he acted like and sounded like a drunk old man laying on the street corner. It was more than we could handle at some points. I got a text from Reagan telling me that he and Sara Madalin prayed for Jonah that morning so I told him. That caused him to burst into a LOUD prayer. It was so funny that Dan and I were laughing so hard we were crying. Everyone assumed I was the mom who was so emotional about them taking my baby. They kept assuring me he would be fine. I couldn't catch my breath enough to tell them I was okay but that the tears were from laughter.

We walked out to the waiting room and it took only minutes for them to call us back to let us know Batman was done with surgery and did perfect. We were well aware of how he would respond to anesthesia so we walked into that room fully prepared. Even though we knew how tough the waking up would be, it never is easy to watch your baby be so disoriented and confused. He cried and cried and cried.

We left the center and came home to "recover." We expected him to be back to normal within an hour or so but the Versed must have made the difference this time. After his tubes at 9 months, we went to breakfast then shopping in Jackson and he never skipped a beat. This time was much difference. He was "off" the rest of the morning and continued to act loopy. After lunch, we got him down for a nap and he slept for over 3 hours. When he woke up, he was fine! Unfortunately, that was round 5:30 so we didn't have time to make it to church. Instead, we just snuggled and read books.

Now the wait begins to see if that ear drum will heal on its on or have to have more medical intervention. We are hoping to avoid tubes again but with his history, I'm not sure that is even possible. They won't put tubes in again for 6 months in order to allow that ear drum to heal completely. So, we have at least a six month wait but unfortunately, that falls right in the midst of winter colds and the time of year that kids get the most ear infections. So, we wait...

No comments:


Related Posts with Thumbnails