Friday, January 22, 2010

You'll be missed!

I got a call early this morning from my friend Amanda. Anytime your phone rings before 6 a.m., you fear the worst. I was in a little bit of a dream state when I heard my phone vibrate. I picked it up to see Amanda's name on caller ID and I jumped up to go to the door to let her in. Then I remembered I lived 12 hours away. It took me a second to realize she was calling and by that time, she hung up. But, I listened to her voice mail to get the sad news that Tommy Chandler had a heart attack.

It took my breath. I immediately called her back. I hoped he was in a hospital somewhere but my worst fears were confirmed. Tommy died. Josh had left already to go tell Sue (zoo-zoo). If you don't know the family connection, Tommy is Josh's uncle and Sue's brother. You will recognize him from various pictures on the blog. He was at the hospital when Jonah was born. He has been at every one of Jonah's birthday parties. He was a faithful servant in the sound ministry at FBCV. He was a daddy to 3 kids and about to be a grandfather for the first time. For a long time he was Taddy. He hated that nickname but it stuck. It didn't help the matter when Jonah started calling him that.













He was loved by so many people. He was a true servant. He did anything he could to help other people. He had a kind heart. He was special to so many people. I'm glad my life was touched by his. I'm better for knowing him. He would probably read this and say "Oh Well!" That was his thing. I wish I didn't live so far away from my friends today.

We'll miss you Taddy!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

You made me cry again, but thank you for your sweet words. He will be missed :( Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this touching post! I'm so glad you and Dan and Jonah were a part of Tommy's life. I will forever miss him here on earth but I look forward to the day I get to see him again in heaven. You are so right about the "oh well" lol.

Sue

Katie (and Tony) said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your dear friend. My prayers are with you and his family during this sad time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails