Saturday, June 6, 2009

VBS 2009


VBS...ahhh...the most exhausting week in church life! Dan loves VBS week! He spends the entire week in full VBS mode. It absolutely wears him out. I love to watch him interact with children. We believe a large part of the growth our church has seen over the last 3-4 years is because of the emphasis our church puts on children and youth. We know that if we can reach kids, then we have the opportunity to reach their parents. Because of this, Dan pours his life into weeks like VBS. By the second day, he knows almost every child by name and makes a point to make them feel loved and cared about.

I had a parent stop me at the lunch Friday to say that they are not members of our church but if they were Baptist, this would be their church. The wanted me to know how much Dan impacts her children. She proceeded to tell me that they do an average of 4-5 Bible Schools each summer and ours is the only church who has a Pastor that is active, visible and involved all week. She thanked me for his contribution to her children's lives even though they weren't church members. I felt like Dan's mom!! I was all proud and giddy! I guess I know how much effort he puts into his job and how much he wants children to see God's love through him.

She also said that our directors are THE BEST of any VBS she has ever seen. She was over the top complimentary of our decorations and organization. Thanks Amanda and Delynn!
We don't have classes for Jonah's age but if a parent works in VBS then they offer a nursery for those kids. Since Dan worked and our babysitter worked, Jonah got to go this year. (Poor Mommy missed out on the fun because of my job!) I sent my camera to VBS and some of these pictures are mine but I also took some from Facebook! (Thanks Megan, Carrie and Kassi!)


This picture made me laugh! A bird got into the sanctuary and Stephen Crain caught it then he and Dan had to figure out how to get it out.






We do a mission offering each year. There is always a contest to see how much money can be raised for each team. This year, it was between Dusty and Stephen. If we raised $500 total, they both got a pie in the face. If it was less than $500 then the winner got to pie the loser. If the kids brought $1000 then the directors got the pie too. BUT, if we broke $1500, everyone, including Dan got a pie. As of Thursday, we were at less than $500. Dan got on the phone and started drumming up some support outside of the VBS kids. They ended up with over $1500 for missions. So, out came the pies! Jonah got to pie his daddy!



I walked up for the VBS celebration to find Dan in the courtyard leading everyone in "Hello, my name is Joe." If you have been around our church much, then you know he is famous around here for this song/game/dance/madness! I had to snap a couple of pics. He looks super cool, huh? (Don't worry, videos are at the end!)

I walked into the sanctuary to find Jonah and Noah hanging out with the koala bear. They have had lots of fun in the nursery together this week.

Lammy got to go inside and help us clean up after VBS. I didn't get to help with VBS because of work but I did get to go help do clean-up. I helped in the nursery while Jonah played. He kept telling Lammy what we were doing. I tried to convince him to HELP rather than point out those who were helping. He never did!
Enjoy the "JOE" videos. The first one is pretty short and from Friday. The second one is on Youtube from SMACK last year. After watching this, I think you'll understand why Dan is tired after SMACK and VBS each year.



6 comments:

Greetings from Guatemala said...

We always thought Bro. Dan was a lot of fun and GREAT with the kids and youth!!! Looks like your VBS was a success. LOVE the pie in the face, haha.

destinmimi said...

That is HILARIOUS!!! I have never seen or heard that before...Dan looks like he really is great with the kids.. it is a blessing to have a pastor like that!

Barb said...

Wow, go Dan! That's so funny. Looks like VBS was a great success. Ours is this week - we take it out into 7 elementary schools in the area and do "Kids Power Camp" there.

Penny said...

Great job, Bro. Dan! That is awesome. I wish I had sent our two oldest grands last week! If I had sent the hyper five year old last week, no one would probably ever speak to me again. Except maybe you, since you couldn't go. lol

Katie (and Tony) said...

I'm exhausted just watching that! Whew! That is like VBS boot camp!

Avery's Mommy said...

omg that is hilarious. i have to admit, i'm exhausted just watching it though! Dan should star in a "Hello, My Name in Joe' workout video!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails