Saturday, April 18, 2009

Jonah's first visit to the Emergency Room

I was taking a nap this afternoon when I heard Jonah scream. I immediately knew there was a problem. I'm not sure what was different about this scream but I just knew. It was almost like I was dreaming then I heard Dan yell my name. I jumped up and ran to the kitchen when I saw Dan holding Jonah on the counter with blood running down his face. I quickly wet a dish cloth to replace the paper towel that was being used to apply pressure.

Dan moved his hand for me to see the cut and I told him we had to go to the ER. I grabbed a bag for him, threw in a few diapers and headed out the door. Fortunately, I grabbed a juice cup but I wish I would have grabbed more. Who knew we would be gone so long. We got to the hospital, and I snapped this picture.
We were quickly moved to triage and felt quite confident this would be a quick experience. There was no one in the waiting room or in the triage area except for us. They took all of Jonah's vitals and then instructed us to wait for a room. We waited for only about 20 minutes then got moved to the back to a trauma room.

By this point, the bleeding had almost stopped but it was obvious he would need sutures. The ER was fairly quiet so we felt sure we were next to be seen. Jonah was an absolute angel. There was no whining, no fussing, no crying. He didn't have shoes (we left in such a hurry) so he could not get down on the floor. We kept him entertained with Lammy and our Iphones. We both kept pulling up YouTube clips of his favorite shows and that worked like magic!








The clock kept ticking and then we saw our friend Jason Cole. Jason is the Associate Pastor at Parkway Baptist Church in Natchez. He told us that a patient had come in who needed all hands on deck. So, we knew we would be a while. The nurse that discharged us later told us that the patient coded.



After five hours, we finally saw a very nice Doctor, Dr. Farmer. He was very good with Jonah and super complimentary about his behavior. He looked at his eye and knew it needed stitches but hoped he could do the Dermibond glue instead.
He went to get a nurse to help then we all held Jonah down and attempted to glue the wound. I was on head duty. Dan had hands and also pulled his eyelid tight. It was my job to engage him in conversation to keep his mind of of what they were doing. We talked about Max and what color treat we were going to give him, we talked about who we were going to see at Sunday School tomorrow, we talked about what kind of sticker he was going to get, but most of all, we talked about how incredible brave he was and what a big boy he was. I really was amazed.



When all was said and done, he ended up with the glue rather than stitches. He was complimented over and over by his behavior. It was 2 hours past his bedtime and he was a champ. I was so very proud to be his mommy. We arrived there at 4:25 p.m and left at 10:00 p.m. While it was frustrating to just sit and wait, I was so grateful that it wasn't more serious and that we weren't the family needed all hands on deck!
This is what I found on the counter when we arrived home. Poor guy! He hit pretty hard! Oh, I uploaded a short video of Jonah and Dan at the hospital. I told you he was in a great mood!


9 comments:

Carrie Bevell Partridge said...

Bless his heart--AND yours! I know that was quite an experience. I'm so glad he did well. And thank goodness for iPhones! :)

Greg said...

Ahhh, the first war wound , well one that requires ER , I'm glad he done so well

Avery's Mommy said...

what a little trooper...he is so adorable...sorry you had to wait 5 hours!

amber said...

Poor thing! that was a bad gash ~ I am glad the glue worked! Jackson did the same thing and we used glue, he has a tiny scar, but hardly noticeable!

Penny said...

I'm sure Jason was really nice. If by chance he wasn't-- let me know. His wife, Danielle, is my first cousin. =)
Thanks for commenting on Leon. I think he's kinda cute, too!

Barb said...

Poor baby, but I'm glad he was able to have the glue rather than stitches. And I love his giggle in the video. So glad he was in a good mood and not traumatized by the experience.

Audra said...

Yay for Dermabond!! I'm so sorry you had to wait so long. I know that is SO frustrating! Good job, Jonah! You're a trooper!

cheryl & dave w. said...

how scary! i'm glad he is ok! what a horribly long wait you had--i'm glad you and dan had each other to tag team entertaining a cute little boy! thank goodness for those iphones, huh?? =)

rob h said...

Jonah, this lesson will be a brief one; only three words:

CHICKS. DIG. SCARS.

There you go. I realize I'm a couple weeks late on this and you've probably learned it already, but on the off chance you haven't milked it already....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails