Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Jonah's purpose in life!

When I was a little girl, I ALWAYS played house. I wanted to be a mommy more than anything else in the world. Well, I also really wanted to be Kirk Cameron's wife but I didn't see much chance of that ever happening so I focused on the mommy job instead.
For years, I prayed and prayed that God would give me a child so that I could be a mommy. It was all about me! I wanted to decorate a nursery. I wanted to pick out a diaper bag. I couldn't wait to dress (or decorate, as Dan says) a baby. I don't think it was until we experienced infertility that my prayer changed from just wanting to be a mommy so I could experience all of those things, but to having a child that would have a purpose in this world.
During our darkest days of desperately wanting a child, our prayers began to center on asking God to bless us with a baby in order to glorify Him...not us! We wanted to help this child come to know Christ at an early age then in turn lead other people to Him.
Little did we know that a little baby boy would enter our world after we were told there was no chance of that ever happening. Pretty soon, words like "miracle" started popping up whenever people would talk about this little boy. In July of 2006, we finally held our little miracle in our arms!
We meet people all the time that tell us how much joy he has brought to their lives. These aren't people who know him and love him. These are people that read about him on the blog and fall in love with him. These are people that know him only on a computer screen. We meet people who say Jonah reminds us that God still works miracles.
As Jonah's mommy, there are so many things I want for him. I want him to be successful. I want him to be driven and disciplined. I hope he longs for an education and does everything in his power to get one. I hope he is kind and compassionate. I want him to know his family and love them.
I hope he puts other people before himself. I hope he makes good grades. I hope that he is a great husband and a fabulous father. I hope is a respected person but also someone who is very respectful. I hope he loves music and excels at it. I hope he is a happy person with a positive outlook on life. I want him to have a strong work ethic.
I want athletics to be a big part of his life because that teaches teamwork and discipline. I want him to know how to win...and lose with class and dignity. I want him to set goals and do his best to achieve those goals. I want him to stand up for what is right, even if it cost him friendships, jobs or status. I want him to be a person of conviction.
Like any parent, I want a lot of things for this little boy. But, tonight I was reading something by Beth Moore and was so convicted by what I read. While I didn't mention (on purpose) any spiritual things in the lists above, there are so many I desire for him. I pray with him every day that he would come to know Jesus at an early age and spend his whole life serving Him.
This is what I read in A Quick Word With Beth Moore...BELIEVING GOD.

"I want a thousand things for my children, and I ask without hesitation. But I want nothing more than for God to be glorified. The only thing that will matter forever is the glory that came to God through their lives."

Talk about perspective! All that will matter forever is the Glory that came to God through the life of little Jonah Daniel Glenn!!! None of those other things have such significance!! WOW!


Now to Him who is able to do above and beyond all that we ask or think--according to the power that works in you--to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generation, forever and ever. Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21

8 comments:

Audra said...

So true. My prayer over Drew every night is one of thanksgiving, first and foremost, but secondly that he be a strong man of God from an early age and that he leads many people to Christ. It is the ONLY thing that truly matters.

winstead family said...

what a beautiful post nikki. i too, am one of those people that adore this little boy, yet i don't even know him! thanks for sharing your heart.

Tommy, Suzanne, and Mary Peyton said...

why do you want to make me cry this early in the morning?????

i remember when we found out ya'll were pregnant. tommy was SO happy for you.

and now to know you and how precious you are.

i pray for mary peyton to come to Christ at an early age, as well. she is slowly asking questions, but i only answer specifically what she asks.

thanks for helping me to remember all of these sweet things! and i love looking at the old pictures of jonah - don't they grow too fast?!?!?

hope to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet angel then and now. Mammy

4 J's said...

That little boy is so precious and he is so blessed to have such Godly parents to learn from. I have never met him but my family loves reading about him. Even Jordyn recognizes Jonah!

amber said...

What a great post!I pray the majority of those exact things over my two children!
*~*~*And I too, wanted to be Kirk Cameron's wife!:)

Chris, Jana & Noah said...

What a beautiful post..had me tearing up! Ya'll are such a wonderful family! V-town is so very blessed to have ya'll!

Anonymous said...

Your words bring tears to my eyes. What sweet thoughts, lifted up to God. Thank you for sharing.
Shirley

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails