Saturday, February 21, 2009

"Here comes sa'more!"

We have lived in Vidalia since 2002 and have never attended a Mardi Gras parade. I must admit, I didn't realize there were any big issues with Mardi Gras until yesterday. I told someone we went to the parade and they informed me of all the pagan things surrounding Mardi Gras. So, let me preface this post by saying I have no clue what any of that is but I did have a great time with my family!

We got to the parade but had about 30 minutes to spare before it started. We heard someone yelling Jonah's name and realized Graci (from school) was across the street. So, we crossed Canal street and stood with them. She and Jonah had a lot of fun playing. Dan kept them (and us) entertained.

Like I said earlier, we have never been to a Mardi Gras parade. So, Jonah was not used to hearing people yell about beads. So, every time he heard something about the beads, he looked up in fear. We soon realized he thought we were talking about BEES!!! Poor guy!



I found myself taking SO MANY close up shots of my little guy and missing most of the parade. I tend to take pictures of his precious face and then stand there smiling like a fool because I am so grateful to be his mommy! Then, when I feel like my heart can't take any more, I get a picture like this next one.

The parade was almost over when out marched the band and ROTC from Wingfield High School in Jackson, MS. Some of you might not know that is my high school. It has changed a great deal since my days there but it was so odd to see them marching in the Natchez parade.

I didn't realize that Paige and Coleman were at the parade until I saw this picture. Jonah would have been thrilled to see his buddy Coleman there. I guess pictures are good for catching things you miss during an event!!




As you can see, Jonah got his fair share of beads. He was in the absolute best mood during this whole event. We left the parade and went to Sonny's Pizza for dinner and he hammed it up the entire time. I love days like this when everything seems to just perfect!!!
Oh, in case the title of this post doesn't make sense to you, let me explain. Every time Jonah saw another band or float, he would yell, "Here comes sa'more!" Please understand that happened every 2-3 minutes for almost an hour!!! Dan leaned over at one point and said "Please tell me that is what you are gonna title the blog post about this parade!"

3 comments:

Jami Ainsworth said...

very sweet close-up of Jonah and Dan...love it, love it. I considered taking Natalie. I have never really gotten into the whole Maris Gras thing because I have researched the true meaning behind it. But Natalie would have had so much fun catching beads. I didn't go because I have been sooo sick with headaches...I spent hours that afternoon waiting to see my family MD because I knew he would give me a few shots to give me "jump-start" to recovery...something I needed since Natalie was coming! It worked, but I decided to still not take her to save my energy for the next day for the trip to Monroe to the b'day party at the Children's Museum. It was great!

Again..thanks for sharing.

Beth E. said...

Thanks so much for entering the Pay It Forward contest on my blog AND for becoming a follower...good luck!

Your son, Jonah, is absolutely adorable. :o)

Barb said...

That is a great pic of Jonah and Dan. Definitely a framer! And man, Jonah got a ton of beads!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails