Friday, February 20, 2009

Dan's stuff

Earlier in the week, I posted the lovely "trumpet picture" from Dan's senior portrait portfolio. Well, if you enjoyed that, then you will really like this post. Dan picked up four boxes of childhood memorablia from his mom's house Monday. There were things as old his pregnancy information from when he was in his mom's tummy to things from college. He had a blast looking though all of those boxes and I had even more fun laughing at him. I didn't pull my camera out until he was through a couple of the boxes so you will miss a few of the really great items but have no fear...I did capture some for your viewing pleasure.


The first thing that caught my eye and reinforced my use of the word "NERD" when referring to him is the newspaper article below. Look for my hubby on the far right of the first row. Yes, that is him wearing the shirt that is way too big with the striped tube socks. This picture was taken in 1981 when he attending "THE LIBRARY LOCK-IN!" Yes, you read that right! When his friends were all at campouts or playing Atari all night, Dan was living it up at the Library Lock-in!!!
I'm not sure how many of you faithful blog readers remember going somewhere and having the opportunity to make a leather belt or bracelet or barrette. I remember doing this at girl scout camp and GA camp. Well, Dan went on vacation with his family and did this. He was so proud of his creation and went to show is family when they discovered he had turned the last letter of his name the wrong way. He was then known as "Daz!!!"

I thought that was hilarious as I pictured this little boy with an excited face that soon turned to gloom when he realized his mistake. BUT, just today, his mom informed me that he wasn't a little boy when that happened. TRY TEENAGER!!!! Ahhh...if only I had been around to make fun of that with them. So, for the last week, he has been Daz to me!!


One of the better things we found in those boxes was a savings bond from Dan's great aunt. She paid $25 for that bond in February of 1974 when Dan was born. It matured 30 years later in 2004. He cashed it in today for $260!!! That was a nice little amount to help with school expenses.
Probably my most favorite thing found in those boxes is this letter. Dan wrote it to his family during his first year at Mississippi State. Apparently, he did not realize the he was not the only person in the world to ever use a computer. He made a super cool graphic design to show them but what I liked most was the way he described how he could type different fonts. (see the 2nd picture for a close up!) I'm laughing out loud all over again as I read this letter.

In the box was his very first driver's license. Hope, you can't see it but just about the word GOVERNOR is Ray Mabus. He has always been Stephen's governor so I thought he would appreciate that. :-)
I also found myself laughing at this "drama scrapbook." I love the bubble letters he used to draw the cover. He should have been an art major instead!! :-) (He is hating me right about now, by the way!!)
The boxes contained not one, but TWO of the following awards. He got those his senior year of high school. (not really, but that makes for an even funnier thought!!!)
The next picture is his final report card from Kindergarten. It is such a sweet, sweet note from his teacher. But, the last sentence is hysterical. AND, it still is true today. The boy is the slowest eater I have ever met!!!!!
There were two love notes written to his girlfriend, Amy. They are cute but what is even cuter is what his mom wrote on the second note. The first note from Dan says "Dear Amy. I love you, but your not the only girlfriend I have. I love Lisa and Cindy. Love, Dan" His mom wrote "written March '81 1st grade."
The second note says "Dear Amy, I love you! I'd even go to Jupiter for you. I just wanted you to know that I love you. Dan" His mom wrote "This letter written after a little thought on the first one!" HAHAHAHA

Dan stood proudly with the award he received on Class Day his senior year. He won the Spanish Award. This was a big deal to him because there was a girl from Spain in his class. Ha.

I have no comments about the sunglasses he loved. I will move on and allow you to have your own thoughts.
I leave you with a final picture of Dan with his car and first place trophy from the Pinewood Derby. I think he is still as proud today as he was then. Check out that smile!!

6 comments:

Sara Madalin's Mommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sara Madalin's Mommy said...

Ok, several things:

First, way to go Bro. Dan with the Skating Proficiency. I am so proud of you.

Second, Reagan has that same pair of sunglasses.

And finally, don't let Nicki pick on you about the drama scrapbook. She's just jealous of your mad skills in art.

Brandy said...

This is the reason I have started saving every little thing for Mia. I want her to have this experience when she grows up. Thanks for sharing!

Barb said...

THis is too funny. What struck me the most was how much Jonah looks like Dan in Dan's drivers license photo.

Jami Ainsworth said...

I haven't even read all of this...but I love the pinewood derby car! We still sport trophies that we haven't figured out what to do with from Cameron's days... the dad's in our pack really got into the competition...Randy one of the more competitive dads! I know it's suppose to be about the kids! They were some great days!

Memories like this are priceless!

Carrie Bevell Partridge said...

You still skatin', Daz?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails