Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A great ending to my birthday!!!

DISCLAIMER: Please DO NOT look at the picture at the end without reading this post. It will not make sense to you!!!


Our blog has many different types of readers. We have readers who only know us from the blog, those we know us from our time in Vidalia, our families, friends we grew up with, friends from previous churches we have served, college friends, people we have worked with over the years, etc. I would have to guess that the majority of our readers know us from the last 5-10 years of our lives.

Well, to all of you who know nothing about where we have come from, you may assume we were always these SUPER COOL and cutting edge people (HA!) but that is not the case. As a matter of fact, my dear friend Malinda did a picture post that included several pictures of Dan and I back in 1999. We actually thought we were cool then...oh well! As weird as it is to see those pictures, that is nothing compared to our days in junior high and high school. Homely does not begin to describe me. (I will post about Dan's bad days in junior high later!)

Well, life went on and I grew out of some of that. At least I hope I did! My good friend Hope was instrumental in changing my views of fashion, hair and makeup. Unfortunately, I was in my second year of college by this point. (So many wasted years!!!) After college, I met Dan and we immediately started dating. We met in January of 1998, got engaged in September of 1998 and then married in May of 1999.

Somewhere in the midst of our engagement, we were having one of "those" talks. You know, the one where you lay out everything on the table. We were both talking about what our hopes and dreams were for our future. We started talking about how amazing it was that God led us to each other when he did because everything just seemed right. We talked about how as teenagers we had both made lists of what we wanted in a future spouse. You all know about those lists. At some point in your life, you made one too!

Dan proceeded to tell me some of the things that was on his list. As he named all of those things, I quickly began to realize that I was NONE of them. (ie. someone who could really sing, loved soccer, could play the piano, a college football junkie, blonde hair and blue eyes, etc) I was starting to totally freak out on the inside because I thought he was saying this couldn't work because I wasn't who he wanted in a wife. But, little did I know, he had prepared this eloquent (so he thought) speech to make me fall in love with him all over again. It went like this...(Yes, this is exact because we have told so many people this story and replayed it over and over again in conversation because we still can't believe he actually said this to me!!!!)

Dan- I made a list of everything I ever wanted in a wife. I knew my wife had to be able to (insert list of things here.) I have recently discovered that you are none of those things. But, then I realized, (this is where it gets good) "YOU MAY NOT BE THE GIRL OF MY HEAD DREAMS (um, gee thanks!!!) BUT YOU ARE THE GIRL OF MY HEART DREAMS."

Me- Ummm...(burst into side-splitting laughter!) thanks??

Dan- (quickly realizing just how bad that sounded) Uh, that sounded a lot better inside my head!


Well, it has been 10 years since that night and we still laugh about that. What Dan thought was so romantic and special was a complete cut and not the least bit special to me. That story has been told to so many people and the reaction is always the same. "YOU SAID WHAT????"

Well, our good friend (I am now wondering if that is really the case) Josh Wilson intercepted some yearbooks from my 8th grade year and senior year from a coworker of his that I went to school with. (Thanks, Ashley!!) He scanned my photos from those years in and created a lovely masterpiece for Dan for Christmas. He presented it to him tonight after giving me a super cool Vera Bradley bag for my birthday. I was all happy and had warm fuzzies and then Dan opened his gift from them. My warm fuzzies were replaced with extreme laughter...like, side splitting, can't catch my breath laughter!

Yes, Dan now has a new clock for his office. Lovely, huh???


7 comments:

Olivia Grace Moon said...

HOLY COW!!! That is hilarious!!!!

Sara Madalin's Mommy said...

Nicki, Nicki, Nicki. Bless your sweet heart.

4 J's said...

That is the funniest story I have heard in a long time!!

Josh Wilson said...

Nikki, i wish you knew how much joy this present brought into my life!

***CAUTION***
There are more pictures in the vault should you attempt to seek retribution.

Avery's Mommy said...

That gift is too funny!

Avery is in a 9/12 M or 12 months size. Can you believe my itty bitty child is catching up to her size in clothes? :)

cheryl & dave w. said...

wow! too funny, and very, very thoughtful and creative! i'm sure dan will love looking at it everyday..... =) oh, and YES, we have ALL had those "lists".... and dave met almost NONE of my sought after qualities either so you can tell dan he is not alone! =)

Avery's Mommy said...

we are leaving about 11 am in the morning. let me know if you want me to come by. we will be back in town for her birthday party -jan 24th.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails