Saturday, March 29, 2008

We Fall Down...

Does life get any better than this?

Man...tonight was one of those mommy moments that I'm sure I will NEVER forget and will always cherish. This was the first night that Jonah did not get a sippy cup of water when I laid him down. We know that potty training days are on the horizon so we are beginning the process of limiting liquids after 6 p.m. The initial step of that was to do away with a sippy cup of water. We have been phasing the water down all week from a full cup down to less than an once. So, this was the last step. I dreaded the meltdown that was probably coming but knew it was best for him.

I gave him a bath while Dan cleaned the living room and kitchen. (How great is he???) After his bath, we did the typical routine of brushing his teeth, the bedtime story and then prayers. (Which, by the way, is one of the most precious things in the world to see! He clasps his little hands together and bows his head and closes his eyes as soon as you get to the last page of his book!) Typically, we hand him his cup of water after his prayer and then put him down for the night. But tonight, I just held him. I rubbed his back and he patted my arm. I could see his sweet face by the light of the night light and he just stared and smiled.

After a while, I asked him if he wanted to go night-night. He said no. I told him it was time and stood up to lay him in his crib. As I laid him down, he patted my arm and said "Night-night, Mommy!" I stood at his crib and just rubbed his back and sang quietly along with the CD of lullabies that was playing. As I began to realize the song I was singing, my eyes filled with tears. "We Fall Down" was the current song and I began to think of that song in light of my sweet little boy.

I've always sang that song with the mindset of "my crowns" being laid at the feet of Jesus one day when I'm in heaven. And, I've thought of that song in the light of laying my life at His feet on a daily basis. But, tonight, I realized that at this time in my life, Jonah is my crown. He is the best part of me. He is what God has entrusted me with. So, tonight, as I rubbed the back of my little 20 month old son, and sang this song, I realized that God wants me to offer this little miracle to Him every day. That isn't always easy. This is a big, scary world and I don't always feel good about what lies ahead for him. But, I can't control his future, I can only lay him at the feet of a God who loves him way more than I do!

If you don't know the words, I've put them below. What is your crown today? Have you laid it at the feet of Jesus? I'm glad for the reminder I was given tonight!

We fall down

We lay our crowns

At the feet of Jesus

The greatness of Mercy and love At the feet of Jesus

We cry holy, holy, holy

We cry holy, holy, holy

We cry holy, holy, holy Is the lamb




post signature

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails