Sunday, March 16, 2008

Flying kites

Saturday was a beautiful day and I did not want to spend it indoors. Early in the day, I thought it would be fun to get kites and go to Emerald Mound. After I dressed Jonah, I started thinking about the amount of rain we have had lately and decided it might be too muddy out there. So, we decided to go buy kites and head to the river front. As soon as Jonah realized we were going somewhere, he went to the door and kept beating on it saying "owsite, owsite, owsite." (He is is southern with the way he pronounces words!!!) No amount of explaining helped him understand we weren't quite ready. So, I left him there in tears so I could finish getting his diaper bag ready. Poor guy! I don't think patience is in his vocabulary!

We headed to WalMart in Natchez in search of kites. Would you like to guess what kind of kites we bought? ELMO!!! Jonah was thrilled to see Elmo on the packaging of the kites. He had no clue what a kite was but he was all excited about seeing his good buddy Elmo.

Now, before I go any further, you must understand something about our house. My dear, sweet, precious, (I have to use a lot of nice adjectives before I say anything mean!) kind, wonderful husband takes me literal when I make a suggestion. We will use the kites as an example. In my mind, when I suggested going to fly kites, what I meant was for us to go buy cheap kites, let Jonah play with the string, attempt to fly it for just a minute or two, take a few pictures and then go home.

Dan interpreted that to mean that we pick out the very best kite, unwrap the string very delicately, concentrate very hard on getting the kite in the air and fly the kite as if your life depended on it. My man was all about this kite! (In his defense, that is one of the things I love most about him. Whatever he does, he does it to the best of his ability and with all of his determination.)

So, as you scroll through the many pictures below, you won't really notice a lot of father/son bonding. You will notice a very cute little boy and very determined man flying a kite!






"Daddy, can I hold the kite, please? It looks like so much fun, daddy! Can I please give it a try? Ok...I guess you get to have all the fun daddy. I'll just hold the piece of trash you dropped on the ground and pretend it is a kite!"



















I think this last picture is so precious. You have to understand that one of the two kites we bought had t be inflated with a straw before it would fly. When it wouldn't go in the air, Jonah picked it up and tried to blow on it just like he had seen his daddy do an hour ago. Unfortunately, he didn't have a straw.

post signature

2 comments:

Karin said...

ha! Cute :) Kite flying is a good idea! We should try that sometime soon too! We've done it with Kevin once - 2 years ago when he was 2. (I just finished putting it in the blurb book. :) )

Barb said...

Well, daddies have to have some fun too...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails